Garage Heat...tips, advice, safety?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike M.

Feeling the Heat
Mar 18, 2012
Green Bay, WI
I am searching for ways to heat my garage with wood. I work on cars and other projects during the (long) wisconsin winters. Ideally a wood stove would do it but insurance says no to that idea. Here is my new plan...install a wood buring forced air furnace outside and pipe into the garage. Does this sound like a bad idea? Does anyone have this setup? Curious to see how well this may work before I begin the project. Thanks!

I know of some folks who have the OWB and pipe the heat to the garage. One fellow I recall working on an old Camaro that is his pride and joy.

I also remember an old fellow in northern MI who came from Poland after the war. He heated his house and garage with a really small heater, sort of a box type heater. It was in his garage but completely enclosed with brick. Naturally there was a front door so he could reload the stove but I'm surprised that was not an issue with the insurance. Perhaps in that area not much is checked, including codes. I wish I could remember how much wood he burned per winter but do remember at the time that was an amazingly small amount of wood, especially for that area. I could hardly believe it, yet, his home was very comfortable. It was a brick home and I'm guessing perhaps 24 x 40 or larger (seems it may have been longer), not including the 2 car garage. It served him well. Wish that old guy was still around as I'd really enjoy talking with him again.

Depending on how many oil changes you do, waste oil heat might be a good option. You might even be able to get others to give you oil.

SHop for better insurance. If, you have determined that your county or city will permit the stove in your shop then you should ask around. Not sure how "national" insurance companies are but I know that farmers insurance allows stoves in outbuildings and state farm does not. My county allows the stove but I will drop state farm for a company like farmers if it means I can have a stove.

It is against the firecode to use a solid fuel heater in the garage. That's what you want to do so you must look at outdoor options if you want to stay with your insurer. Outdoor wood heaters are limited to wood boilers. An outdoor boiler and an indoor heat exchanger would get you going.

That's a burn barrel with a box around it. Really, the inside is just a steel barrel.

Seems pricey if they are just that. Bet a handy fellow/welder could construct one for $100-$200. Gotta ensure exhaust smoke doesn't mingle with room air circulation. I wonder if codes come into play being outside.

Uh oh... the redneck in me is escaping..."A beer keg in a WH jacket!"

Seems pricey if they are just that. Bet a handy fellow/welder could construct one for $100-$200. Gotta ensure exhaust smoke doesn't mingle with room air circulation. I wonder if codes come into play being outside.

Uh oh... the redneck in me is escaping..."A beer keg in a WH jacket!"

Yes, if you look through the photos on their site they show the space between the outer shell and the firebox and there it is, the outside of a 55 gallon barrel in plain view. I'm all for burning in barrels but the price should reflect that.

The one thing my insurance company did say was no home made heaters, but I have a feeling if you were a good welder and had them inspect it they would let you use it.

Status
Not open for further replies.