Garage Heater

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CodyWayne718

Feeling the Heat
Dec 11, 2009
Kentucky
Hope this is the right forum! When and if we build a new garage it will have a wood stove but until then, I'm lost. The garage we have now is small, maybe 1.5 car. Where the walls meet the roof is open so ventilation isn't really a concern, I think. I'm stuck between a 2 or 3 burner propane Mr heater or a regular kerosene heater. Don't really want a fan forced one cause their so darn noisy! I'm leaning toward the propane burners but figured I'd ask. Thanks

Be very careful with any open combustion heater like a wood stove or Mr. Heater. Fumes from fuel, painting, etc will blow that garage off the slab if ignited!
I use a "Salamander" type heater in my shed when I am working out there (cleaning, minor maint on equipment. It has R13 in the walls but the rafters are open. It is noisy but it doesn't bother me, not like I need to hear myself talk!

Wayne, I'm sure you know having a wood burner in a garage is usually a no-no especially when it comes to insurance.

Hi,

Why do you want a garage heater in KY? Do you use it for keeping vehicles out of the weather, or as a workshop? If the latter, then a heater makes sense, but if you don't work out in it on a regular basis, you might rethink that.

Rocking off the ceiling, putting in a vapor barrier, and insulating the heck out of it might go a long ways in keeping it warm. I live in the middle of Alaska; it's been below freezing for several weeks, and my garage hasn't frozen yet. I have a couple of cases of drinking water out there, and they're still thawed. The only heater I have in there is the car engine when I pull it in at night. Two smallish windows to the south. The interior is about 26x33, IIRC, ceiling probably 10'.

I'm planning on installing a Toyo 30 stove one of these days, because it's going to get a lot colder, and we work out there sometimes. The Toyo firebox draws ignition air and vents out there as well. The combustion chamber is not exposed to the interior of the building at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.