Garage springs.. eh? two color codings?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jotel me this

Feeling the Heat
Sep 21, 2018
Pennsylvania
Extension garage spring broke. Need to replace it. I know about the color coding for choosing the correct strength weight.
But, this spring has two colors: yellow and green on the ends. Say wha? Yellow is 130 pounds, green is 110 I think. But regardless, should I just weigh the garage door with a scale and pick the spring that way?

The one thing I cant figure out is, some springs are 20", and others are 27". If I get the correct spring based on the weight of the door, how do I know how long of a spring to buy? Youd think just measure my spring, but one of them is 27" and the other is 25" (thanks previous owners!)

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Weigh the door. A bathroom scale will work.

Replace both springs at the same time. They are rated by cycles, so, if 1 goes, the next isn’t far behind. If I had to guess, I’d replace both with the broken spring. The previous owners only replaced 1 spring last time. The one that broke this time was probably the older one.

Or, if you don’t feel like weighing it, just buy a set at Home Depot, it’s around $30. If you need more weight, go buy the next weight up. Replace extension springs with the door up so you aren’t fighting the weight of the spring.

if it is a insulated door or finished on the inside safe bet is it would be the heavier spring.

Easy enough to weigh the door. No need to guess.

Its a little tougher with extension springs. Extension springs are easiest installed and adjusted with the door up. Torsion springs with it down. You need to get the door back up without springs. Or stretch the springs a bit, raise and secure the door, then shorten the cables and raise the door a few feet... rinse and repeat...