Garden - tomato seedlings too big?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll also stick the snapped off suckers in some wet potting soil to get them to root and have some more tomato plants. They catch up pretty quick in the Summer heat.
I never heard of that. Going to have to give it a try.

Well, after a slow start, the tomatoes have really taken off. So far, spacing looks good.

851062477721fa0417d3a89a53105c7c.jpg

That's quite a change for just a month. The plants look happy.

Actually, that's just over the past 3 weeks or so - the first 2 weeks they didn't do much - I suspect the soil temps weren't quite where they needed to be. Will for sure wait until Memorial Day weekend next year to transplant.

Other than two light applications of fish emulsion, it's all mother nature! The warmer, humid weather has really allowed them to take off. I'm out there everyday picking suckers...

Had a few bloosms die on the cherry tom plants but the new ones are looking good. We had a cool, really wet few days and I think that contributed.

Next post, hopefully, I will have some fruit!

Usually when they appear to be doing 'not much' they are pretty busy growing roots .

They do look healthy now though. Hope that means tomatoes soon.

Thanks for the advice begreen - I may just let them go now. There are is sufficient support from the plants themselves as most of the vines are being propped up by other plants. I may try the stake idea though. However, I'm going to need a ladder if they get up to 8" high! What do you use to tie them to the stake? Anything in particular?

Thanks for the advice begreen - I may just let them go now. There are is sufficient support from the plants themselves as most of the vines are being propped up by other plants. I may try the stake idea though. However, I'm going to need a ladder if they get up to 8" high! What do you use to tie them to the stake? Anything in particular?

I use the green garden velcro and also will cut the legs of blue jeans destined to be tossed out into strips to tie with.

Stake them. Once they are full of tomatoes the weight goes up a whole lot. Then then become top-heavy and fall over. One of our plants had at least 7 large 2 lb. tomatoes forming up top. That snapped the plastic brackets and the plant fell down. I've already had two plants collapse this year. They now have stout 6ft stakes and have been retied for good support that respects the weight they can put on.

Status
Not open for further replies.