Garlic.. Best Way To Keep It Fresh?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reactions: Defiant
Actually a very good garlic type recipe.

1 large loaf Cuban/French bread ( the rounder/larger the better, if I have time I make my own, but that's another recipe)
Coupla jarred roasted red peppers (freshly roasted works, too) - diced.
3 cloves garlic (improvise) - diced.
Pepperoni to taste - diced
Mushrooms to taste - dices/sliced.
Mozzarella (enough to make it gooey, you're call)
Grated Romano - fresh (I've also used Asiago /parmesan/what ever was on hand)
Sprinkles of basil, oregano, parsley, etc
Butter (level suited to your cholesterol tolerances) I've also used Olive oil if I had to.

Slice bread in half length wise.
Scoop out some of the interior bread (your going to have to to fit all of this stuff in the loaf)
Layer ingredients & mush the top down.
Slice the loaf into serving slices & roll & seal in foil.
Grill over semi hot coals 10 - 15 minutes.

Serve with dunking sauce ( your choice)

I've also done this with slicing the bread, drizzling with olive oil, preassembling on a foil lined cookie sheet, then transferring to the grill (cover closed, and check it, you don't want flair ups & burn the bread) just to the point where everything gets melted cheesey gooey.

Goes great with wings :)

We have always kept it out at room temp. Never had a problem. Can't say i have ever had that much though.

Actually a very good garlic type recipe.

1 large loaf Cuban/French bread ( the rounder/larger the better, if I have time I make my own, but that's another recipe)
Coupla jarred roasted red peppers (freshly roasted works, too) - diced.
3 cloves garlic (improvise) - diced.
Pepperoni to taste - diced
Mushrooms to taste - dices/sliced.
Mozzarella (enough to make it gooey, you're call)
Grated Romano - fresh (I've also used Asiago /parmesan/what ever was on hand)
Sprinkles of basil, oregano, parsley, etc
Butter (level suited to your cholesterol tolerances) I've also used Olive oil if I had to.

Slice bread in half length wise.
Scoop out some of the interior bread (your going to have to to fit all of this stuff in the loaf)
Layer ingredients & mush the top down.
Slice the loaf into serving slices & roll & seal in foil.
Grill over semi hot coals 10 - 15 minutes.

Serve with dunking sauce ( your choice)

I've also done this with slicing the bread, drizzling with olive oil, preassembling on a foil lined cookie sheet, then transferring to the grill (cover closed, and check it, you don't want flair ups & burn the bread) just to the point where everything gets melted cheesey gooey.

Goes great with wings :)
That sounds wonderful--don't EVEN want to know how many calories:eek:

We use one of these crocks, it has holes in it for air movement. Gotta have garlic.
100_3339.jpg
100_3340.jpg

Reactions: Adios Pantalones
Those are nice ones. I had one of the terra cotta ones, broke the sucker. Maybe Adios Pantaloons can make some to sell us?

Reactions: Defiant
I love making them. Here's a couple (these are all sold- I'm not advertising/ selling these here- to be clear... just showing off a little)
29139_108152285896604_108145139230652_61024_4310231_n.jpg

9518_1130165856171_1287984025_30339617_8118382_n.jpg

Some times I use a bb gun to make the holes while it's still wet. The holes look like stop-motion CSI shots.
6572_1099938820514_6299222_n.jpg

Reactions: pen
Very nice, AP. Love the shape of the second one.

Those are cool, AP.

Might make a nice counter top composter, too. With a Liner, natch :)

Shrimps are scary. Too many legs, and they dont walk....thats just silly. Next time, hold one up and picture it saying "Take me to your leader". Then eat it. Taste totally different.
It's always amazed me how much we Americans as a society have this "thing" about not eating insects but when you take a good look at a live shrimp, it looks as much like a bug as anything that I can think of and we eat tons and tons of them. Not trying to diss the shrimp, though, as I love 'em.;)

It's always amazed me how much we Americans as a society have this "thing" about not eating insects but when you take a good look at a live shrimp, it looks as much like a bug as anything that I can think of and we eat tons and tons of them. Not trying to diss the shrimp, though, as I love 'em.;)
I was weened on blue crabs. We even call the little ones, "spiders". Love shrimp, too. But I will be darned if I am going to eat a cicada, ant, or any other bug.

Status
Not open for further replies.