Garn 2000 for house and shop

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Grigg Good to hear ever thing with the Garn is good. Hope the guy that welded mind when built, was long gone before yours was built. I open the door to my Garn barn very slowly ever time I go to reload and hope water not running out on the floor again. Made it past the year mark of the last leak. I hoping for a good winter with no leaks. Have a good holiday season.
That’s funny! I do the same thing after my rust out disaster the year before last. Every time I go in to make a fire, I cautiously peak all the way around looking for water. Thankfully, none so far. I guess the 27 ft.² of plate that we weld it in is doing its job. When I was looking through the OP’s Photos, I was thinking that if mine had been enclosed to that extent, I would never have known about the leak until all hell broke loose. Mine is in a dedicated building with 3 feet all the way around and 8 feet in front. I have 5 feet of space over the manhole so I can access easily. I strongly recommend a periodic water inspection! I too am very happy with my unit now that it is functional. I hate 4000 ft.² of house and 1000 ft.² of shop and sometimes my greenhouse. I live in the upper peninsula of Michigan and burn about 10 cords per year. This year I have really nice dry hardwood and it’s amazing how much less wood i use. And with temperatures in the teens and 20s, I burn two fires per day each with about a dozen good maple or oak splits. I keep my temperature between 140 and 180. I try never to let it go below 140 because there is a bit of a temperature drop between the boiler and the house.

...When I was looking through the OP’s Photos, I was thinking that if mine had been enclosed to that extent, I would never have known about the leak until all hell broke loose...
I thought about that and the front sill has a bunch of saw kerfs in it to let water out of the enclosure, at least that's the idea. Hope to never find out.

I try never to let it go below 140 because there is a bit of a temperature drop between the boiler and the house.
If you have good pipe in the ground you should see about 1° per 100'.

If you have good pipe in the ground you should see about 1° per 100'.
On a slightly different topic, have any of you found a wireless surfacemount temperature sensor that you like? I would really love to have my temperature information accessible in my house so that I don’t have to trudge through the snow to check up on things. It would be a real bonus if I could check it remotely as well when I’m traveling.

On a slightly different topic, have any of you found a wireless surfacemount temperature sensor that you like? I would really love to have my temperature information accessible in my house so that I don’t have to trudge through the snow to check up on things. It would be a real bonus if I could check it remotely as well when I’m traveling.
There's a multitude of them. Inkbird, Firboard, and mocreo seem to be popular ones. Personally I went with a PID controller but I can't monitor it remotely, I do have some alarms that will go off if my water is getting too cold etc. I'll probably do a control by web device next year for my system.

There's a multitude of them. Inkbird, Firboard, and mocreo seem to be popular ones. Personally I went with a PID controller but I can't monitor it remotely, I do have some alarms that will go off if my water is getting too cold etc. I'll probably do a control by web device next year for my system.
Thanks for the recommendations. I looked at those, but not them are really what I’m looking for. I would like some thing that I can connect a surface mounted temperature probe from my outlet and inlet pipes to and ideally send remotely. The ladder is not a dealbreaker because I could always put a camera on the screen. But I do need some thing that I can connect probes to.

There are wireless barbeque grille monitors for sale on Amazon for cheap. Just a couple of thrermocouples and whatever is needed to communicate to wirelessly.

wireless barbeque grille monitors
This...many of them will go 300' line of site...just tape the probe to the pex line and insulate over it...gives fairly accurate temp readings.

Someone once used an old iphone's camera to "watch his temp gauges.
He would just access the phone and see what his gauges read