Garn jr..rockin'?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

flyingcow

Minister of Fire
Jun 4, 2008
northern-half of maine
circulator and modine unit running for over 10 hours. got back to garage tank was at 89 degrees.start a fire. an hour and 30 minutes ago.modine and circulator still running. tank at 168. have to leave will check in later. but basically the garn brought up tank temp up 79 degrees with Circulator running and also the modone unit going. How much wood? Not much. But for need a set of scales to weigh wood.

will try to give an update later

Modine will produce 180 btu's with 180f water.

circulator and modine unit running for over 10 hours. got back to garage tank was at 89 degrees.start a fire. an hour and 30 minutes ago.modine and circulator still running. tank at 168. have to leave will check in later. but basically the garn brought up tank temp up 79 degrees with Circulator running and also the modone unit going. How much wood? Not much. But for need a set of scales to weigh wood.

Wow that sounds pretty good, if I started the garn at that temp under load one fire would get to 115-120. How many gallons does the jr, hold?

.Awesome.How many square feet you heating and what's the outdoor temp. Can you tell us the price tag for the junior and a big heat exchanger. Looking to upgrade the eko 40 in a couple years.

Huff

Do you have an estimate of the flow rate in/out of the GARN when the system is running? Just wondering because I'm finding with our Garn WHS2000 (which I've dropped a string of temp sensors into the tank at various leveles) that it does NOT mix itself adequately while firing unless it's being pumped (~13gpm in my case). If the primary pump is off during a fire, the top of the tank can actually start to boil while the bottom of the tank never strays from 90-100 degrees and the middle layers rise but never mix

I have some graphs I will post soon, but I'm wondering if you're really seeing your whole Garn Jr charge +80deg in one fire or whether you're getting the same uneven charging I am seeing.

Wow that sounds pretty good, if I started the garn at that temp under load one fire would get to 115-120. How many gallons does the jr, hold?

I should have noted, I partially refilled garn. wasn't just on one load. probably one full load plus close to half again. The jtr is 940 gallons i believe.

.Awesome.How many square feet you heating and what's the outdoor temp. Can you tell us the price tag for the junior and a big heat exchanger. Looking to upgrade the eko 40 in a couple years.

Huff

Be best to contact the rep for garn. But basically 13k for the unit plus shipping. The modine type units can be close to $1000, but i found them for $600 on craigs list. I'm not heating a house, it's a 35x75 truck garage w/16ft ceilings. haven't got the whole system complete yet. But basically going to maintain 45/50f interior. About a 75,000btu/hr load. Still haven't completely insulated the garn and need to finish heating install.

Do you have an estimate of the flow rate in/out of the GARN when the system is running? Just wondering because I'm finding with our Garn WHS2000 (which I've dropped a string of temp sensors into the tank at various leveles) that it does NOT mix itself adequately while firing unless it's being pumped (~13gpm in my case). If the primary pump is off during a fire, the top of the tank can actually start to boil while the bottom of the tank never strays from 90-100 degrees and the middle layers rise but never mix

I have some graphs I will post soon, but I'm wondering if you're really seeing your whole Garn Jr charge +80deg in one fire or whether you're getting the same uneven charging I am seeing.

I should install 3 levels of temp gauges just for the heck of it. But the Grund/Alpha reads 8 to 9 gals a minute. And that was running for 10 hours before firing. It was still circulating while i was doing the burn.

I have a data logger on a GARN 1500 with bottom, mid and top sensors, and with no pumping going on (or very minimal) if the top of the GARN 1500 hits 170, the bottom sensor (2' off bottom) is around 160, so it seems to mix pretty well.

karl

Reactions: flyingcow
Back to the original post:
... got back to garage tank was at 89 degrees.start a fire. an hour and 30 minutes ago.modine and circulator still running. tank at 168. have to leave will check in later. but basically the garn brought up tank temp up 79 degrees with Circulator running and also the modone unit going. How much wood? Not much. But for need a set of scales to weigh wood.
Does this mean that the temp of the tank was raised 79 degrees in 1-1/2 hours, and during this same time the modine and circulator were running?

Back to the original post: Does this mean that the temp of the tank was raised 79 degrees in 1-1/2 hours, and during this same time the modine and circulator were running?
Yes. I had to turn the unit heater on 10 hours earlier. When I get back the tank was down to 89 degrees. Then then I started the fire

Most gasifiers require a danfoss valve for low temp protection against creosote buildup, does the garn require this as well?

Do you have a link to the data logger? Just curious about it and the cost.

Thanks

Also I think the alpha is pretty close on its readout of gpm's. But its not exact.

I've used the X-300 several times, and they're about $300 with a bunch of extra sensors. I know they've been discussed here. I don't have it online, as I left that to the customer. but I do get occasional updated spreadsheets that I can plot a graph and see the HX performance and such. but he can check it thru his iPhone from anywhere on his network, and if set up, anywhere on the internet.

http://www.controlbyweb.com/x300/

karl

Reactions: flyingcow
Status
Not open for further replies.