Garn to Heatmaster switch?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
First Question Why?

Not planning storage with the new boiler then?
Free up space for more wood?

If your doing an indoor installation the Polar Furnace G-class is worth a look.

I have ran both a Heatmaster and Polar. Both are good units and work well but I noticed Polar is a more refined, and much heavier built. They essentially have a similar design to the Froling but in an outdoor/indoor without electronics very simple.

Really love how the smoke extraction works. No longer need to meticulously time my reloads to hit the sweet spot. (Or else garage door is open to clear the air... gives me more flexibility.

Good luck on your adventure!

So you plan on processing a bit more wood,that will cut into your toy time

Could you take part of the $12,000 you were going to spend on the new boiler and build a lean to off the side or back of your current shed/barn/garage for more toy storage?

Would you consider removing the DHW from the garn and use a heat pump water heater or on demand propane water heater? Add Outdoor reset? both will reduce wood usage.

I have a Garn 2000 and it does take up almost a 1/4 of my barn. I picked the garn after the barn was built. I would have put the garn in the lean to or built the barn bigger. I still can use the space over the garn for storage. (12 ft walls in barn)

A good friend of mine and his brother both have outdoor non gasser boilers and use 10-12 cord of wood, while we used 5 , we all have the same amount of people and similar heat loads. I am assuming the heatmaster and polar are probably more efficient than these older two non gasification boilers.

Reactions: sloeffle
Building toy storage would be the quickest and cheapest i would think as well.
By changing heating systems you are not going to free up much space,maybe 1/2 of the Garn's foot print once the dust is settled.You will still require clearances around the new unit,still need the wood storage,ect.
Secure cold storage,get a 20 ft sea can.Never loose money on them easy to move if you don't like where it is.

Could you take part of the $12,000 you were going to spend on the new boiler and build a lean to off the side or back of your current shed/barn/garage for more toy storage?

Would you consider removing the DHW from the garn and use a heat pump water heater or on demand propane water heater? Add Outdoor reset? both will reduce wood usage.

I have a Garn 2000 and it does take up almost a 1/4 of my barn. I picked the garn after the barn was built. I would have put the garn in the lean to or built the barn bigger. I still can use the space over the garn for storage. (12 ft walls in barn)

A good friend of mine and his brother both have outdoor non gasser boilers and use 10-12 cord of wood, while we used 5 , we all have the same amount of people and similar heat loads. I am assuming the heatmaster and polar are probably more efficient than these older two non gasification boilers.
1) Don't think I want to add a lean to on the shed
2)Want to keep DHW I think some of the kids fall asleep in the hot showers. I only used around 6 cord last year. May do heat pump once older electric water heater goes out.
3)I would lose some storage above stove but I only have 10 foot ceiling. So 2 foot or so. Mostly junk up there anyways

Would like to free up some shed space
As already mentioned that would be some expensive square feet for "toys". Are you on a small lot or why not build a small barn? 12,000 would build a decent barn even in today's market. The space savings can't be that significant.
I see no reason for the change unless you simply want to spend the money to have a different boiler. Of course the used Garn should be worth something.....

Reactions: SpaceBus