Garn VS Switzer

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I just priced the Switzer 2150 gallon one is around sixteen grand and the 2600 gallon is seventeen grand. By the time I ship it and redo my building to put it in and get it hookup I sure I would be at twenty five grand. That's a big investment for a older guy.
If I had your experience I would run far away from any boiler with built in storage. You should be able to install a separate boiler and a couple insulated propane tanks for similar price. You would then have pressurized storage that will last for far more than 25 years. A Garn or Switzer puts all your eggs in one basket so to speak.
For initial cost savings you could no doubt find a used gasser as suggested earlier.

One issue with the above is that with a downdraft and isolated storage is that you will likely be burning more hrs of the day. Most downdrafters are under 200k btu/hr, garn almost doubles that, not sure about switzer. Downdrafters flue temps are considerably higher than that of a garn, not sure about switzer. While I agree on the flexibility of isolated storage, the piping, Controlls, extra heat loss adds to the complexity. The above could be masked with low house heat loss to storage ratio, but it seems that these concerns would become apparent when your operating with a high heat load, ie 15 cord a year.
As mentioned above I’d really consider a external weld repair if possible. If there’s enough room to apply rtv then there might be enough room to weld. You can buy a intek inflatable pool on amazon for under 300.

Reactions: andym
TCaldwell I do like the idea of getting away from a boiler with storage but like you said I think I would run into a problem with the amount of loads of wood it would take to replace the three full loads I need in the Garn when we get down to these sub zero temps we are having now. The Garn is running nine hours a day to burn the three full loads. I don't think a stand alone boiler with storage is going to work well I would have to spend all my time feeding it when the cold temps hit. Its bad enough to load the Garn three times a day now. When we break these subzero temps I will drain it down some in a tank I have and try to weld it from the out side. Looks like we have a full week of sub zero temps coming.

Lots of storage tanks are built by being welded from the outside. No reason to send some poor guy into the tank.

Lots of storage tanks are built by being welded from the outside. No reason to send some poor guy into the tank.

Still not sure about this leaky spot, but I think it's more than just a tank seam. Sounds like it's at a combustion zone also

Still not sure about this leaky spot, but I think it's more than just a tank seam. Sounds like it's at a combustion zone also
That's correct the blower housing that is leaking is part of the combustion zone and even if I can get it welded from the outside for a temp fix it still needs to be completely drained cleaned and welded from the inside to do it right. This area is running 500 to 600 degrees when your burning full tilt.

That's correct the blower housing that is leaking is part of the combustion zone and even if I can get it welded from the outside for a temp fix it still needs to be completely drained cleaned and welded from the inside to do it right. This area is running 500 to 600 degrees when your burning full tilt.

Even with 200 degree water on the other side?