Gas Boiler - Liner Advice

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

mrose

Sep 22, 2021
Connecticut
I have a two story multi family home with 2 gas boilers in the basement venting into the chimney. They each go into their own flue. I had a chimney company come to the house to diagnose a leak in the chimney and they recommended stainless steel liners for the boilers (in addition to water repellent on the chimney). They said the clay liners are missing cement between the tiles and there is deterioration . There is some white staining that occurs on the chimney which they said liners should prevent. They gave a price of $2,450 for each liner. They said they would use 6” liners and they would be BestFlex LightWall 316. I don’t know the exact length. Would you use the lightwall for a gas boiler? Can it be damaged during installation? Would heavy wall be better? I’m in Connecticut. It’s an exterior chimney. No insulation was mentioned in the estimate. Does the price sound high? Any advice would be appreciated.

I have a two story multi family home with 2 gas boilers in the basement venting into the chimney. They each go into their own flue. I had a chimney company come to the house to diagnose a leak in the chimney and they recommended stainless steel liners for the boilers (in addition to water repellent on the chimney). They said the clay liners are missing cement between the tiles and there is deterioration . There is some white staining that occurs on the chimney which they said liners should prevent. They gave a price of $2,450 for each liner. They said they would use 6” liners and they would be BestFlex LightWall 316. I don’t know the exact length. Would you use the lightwall for a gas boiler? Can it be damaged during installation? Would heavy wall be better? I’m in Connecticut. It’s an exterior chimney. No insulation was mentioned in the estimate. Does the price sound high? Any advice would be appreciated.
Without knowing the height access etc it's hard to say if it's a fair price or not. But don't have them waterproof the chimney it's a waste of money. Yes light wall is fine as long as it is 316. Yes of course it can be damaged during install if they don't know what they are doing.

Without knowing the height access etc it's hard to say if it's a fair price or not. But don't have them waterproof the chimney it's a waste of money. Yes light wall is fine as long as it is 316. Yes of course it can be damaged during install if they don't know what they are doing.
It looks like they would need a 35’ liner. Would there be much difference in how long the lightwall lasts compared to the heavywall? I was told the bricks today are more porous which is why they suggested the siloxane spray. The guy who looked at it thought that would stop the leak because he didn’t see any other issues with the chimney.

That
It looks like they would need a 35’ liner. Would there be much difference in how long the lightwall lasts compared to the heavywall? I was told the bricks today are more porous which is why they suggested the siloxane spray. The guy who looked at it thought that would stop the leak because he didn’t see any other issues with the chimney.
That is a fair price for a 35' liner. It's actually considerably lower than I would charge. It is very likely that the leak is from condensation from the boilers. I fix leaks associated with chimneys all the time. And honestly have only ever sealed 3 chimneys. It just isn't nessecary if the chimney is built properly and is in good repair. And if it isn't waterproofing isn't going to fix it.