Gas & click sound but no spark in Proflame IPI system

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

davey333

Jan 30, 2022
Pennsylvania
I've had a bit of bad luck with a new Superior IPI DRT2033. It worked fine for about ten short tests during installation and then stopped working. It turned out the power transformer had died - confirmed via multimeter. I replaced the transformer and the fireplace ignited and worked perfectly for a week.

This morning, the pilot would not light. I couldn't believe it. I have gas and a faint clicking sound at the pilot assembly. When I disconnect the spark wire from the DFC and turn on, I hear a louder clicking sound coming from the DFC. Not sure if this helps rule out anything. When I manually light the pilot with a match, the burner fires and the igniter stops clicking as per normal.

I have checked the underside of the pilot assembly and along the spark wire down to the DFC for any damage or premature arcing. The igniter rod and pilot hood are clean - it's all still brand new and used only a handful of times.

Since the system is new, and the only thing that's changed was the power transformer, all I can think of is the new power transformer is again faulty, leading to a weak spark - is this possible? This transformer is working, but perhaps not providing the correct power.

Thanks for any thoughts

Last edited:
Is the ground wire securely attached to the body of the appliance?
Thanks for the response. I opened the junction box inside the base of the fireplace and while the 120v 15a receptacle is grounded to the incoming romex ground wire, there is no additional pigtail grounding the fireplace chassis or junction box to the romex ground wire. Should I add a pigtail and ground the chassis to to the romex ground wire?

The power transformer that connects to the DFC is 2-prong, non-polarized - no ground prong.

The yellow and green striped ground wire coming out of the DFC runs into the base of the pilot assembly and I can't see what it attaches to.

And there's one other ground wire, part of the wire harness, running from the DFC to the valve body.

Thanks