Gas Demand Decreases Across US

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Adios Pantalones said:
Off roaders say that 4WD allows you to get stuck further from the main road.

Yep, and those are the guys that I drive by to get to the main road. %-P

The car that did so well at 80MPH was an 89 Camaro RS with a 305 TBI and a chip. Other than having the 305 the car was a stripper model. Cruising at 80MPH kept the RPMs at about 2200RPM, which apparently was the sweet spot for that engine. And, this isn't hearsay, this is what I did. In my military days my wife was staying with her parents in South Carolina while I was stationed in Maryland, and for the few months we were waiting on household goods to arrive from overseas so we could get her up I'd drive down to her parent's house every weekend. To keep myself distracted while driving I'd make a game out of trying to get the best mileage out of the car. I could almost make it the whole way on one tank of fuel. Dividing gallons into miles would yield 30 to 31MPG if I travelled 80, 29 to 30 at 75, something like 27 at 85. You don't have to believe, and I do know it's hard to, but this is what I was getting. I believe because it was what I was seeing.

On the speed limits, I didn't care about them then any more than I do now. Ran a remote mounted radar detector since I knew I'd be living near Virginia with that car, never had a problem. When in Virginia, if the detector went nuts I'd slow down and shut it off, and with no telltale signs of a detector the cops wouldn't know who had it.

Give it a little while . . . the petro companies will whine to the Govt that people are driving less and they need some sort of bail-out from the Govt. Think that sounds far-fetched?? Try reviewing the airline industry.

Jags said:
If a fuel sipping vehicle was available that could address my needs, you bet I would have one, but they ain't been invented yet. Now soccer moms......thats a different story.

Soccer moms address your needs? :coolsmirk:

BrotherBart said:
Jags said:
If a fuel sipping vehicle was available that could address my needs, you bet I would have one, but they ain't been invented yet. Now soccer moms......thats a different story.

Bart! Stop that! (where's the smiley with the blue hair?)

There used to be a grassy hill on a certain piece of county school property 'round these parts that was very steep. The game was to get your 4WD to the top without getting stuck. Some people couldn't do it, it was that steep. One drunken evening, a few of us decided to try it with whatever we were driving, and I managed to pull it off. Hooked the front wheels over the top edge and bottomed out. The vehicle was a RWD 1982 Chevette. :coolsmile:

I can get to the SC line from Baltimore in the Roady on one tank of gas. It's also very sure footed in the snow.

Chris

BrotherBart said:
Jags said:

Ummm....Yes :red:

Status
Not open for further replies.