Gas furnace and water heater flues

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

phatdonkey

Dec 15, 2014
West Norriton, PA
I just replaced my gas water heater last week.

When i went to hook the new one to the chimney i needed to adjust the length of the pipe from the wall to the WH. I was able to slide the pipe from the wall out all the way. To my surprise, when the pipe came out of the wall i see it just dead ended into the terra cotta stack, like a smoke dragon setup. I also saw the furnace does the same. Is this a concern? It was really clean in there, no soot to be seen. Just curious if i should run kiners up there or not. Not sure of the size of the square tile flue. Ill get up on the roof this week and see.

Any info on a plan would be great.

The attached photo shows where the 2 exhaust pipes penetrate the wall and into the open terra cotta flue. 4 inch pipe for the furnace and 3 inch for the WH. No issues the last 3 years. Just curious if i should do this "right".

Attachments

• 20161102_221924.jpg
    20161102_221924.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 139
No you do not need a liner, but if that flue is older and you are switching from standing pilots to on demand, be aware that the lack of that small pilot heat now leaves you with a cold flue so installing a liner is beneficial prior to it deteriorating. what happens in the shoulder seasons and somewhat in the summer months is condensation forms in the flue ( those old standing pilot lights kept this at bay). That mixes with the little bit of combustion byproducts producing an acid that leaches out the terracotta joints- At that point it is line or rebuild and line. This has become a very common problem ( seldom talked about) in the northern climes of the US. Now the latest furnaces and water heater having an exhaust that can be sent down a plastic pipe gives you the option of running the plastic pipe up the flue one for each appliance just need to cap it off seal it where they exit. I see this conversion quite a bit in my area. depending on the set up and other factors these units can also be vented out the sidewall but sometimes that is not a good option. My furnace intake for combustion air and exhaust is out/in the side wall via pvc. My hot water heater is vented out the side wall but it is a conventional burn system below the tank ( No standing pilot). I did have to add a backflow damper the HW exhaust. As it did not come with one and the exhaust pipe is also pvc.

Reactions: phatdonkey
Thanks for the reply. The new water heater is like the older one. Standing pilot. There is always a draft. In time I may just line it and add a combiner at the bottom and pipe them both into the same line. Thanks for the quick response.

Status
Not open for further replies.