Q&A Gas Log Installation Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

I'm concerned that the 22" flexible metal connector gets too hot when I turn on my gas logs. It is not directly over the flames, but behind. The butane/propane supply line is 1/2" pipe coming from the back side of the ash dump. The flexible metal connector, connects there and runs to the gas log. Should I be concerned about this metal flex line getting hot?????? , because it gets real hot.

Answer:

Chances are that the flex pipe is just fine and safe as it's typically rated for applications such as your gas logs. Frankly, everything in that area will get hot including the gas valve but they've been tested and rated for specific temperature applications.

If you are still uneasy, check the rating plate attached to the gas valve assembly and contact the manufacturer of the gas logs for their advice. You can also contact your local gas supplier and have them inspect it as well to be extra cautious. Professionally, I think that it's fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.