Gas only Jeeps special orders in CARB states

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

peakbagger

Minister of Fire
Jul 11, 2008
Northern NH
Reactions: SpaceBus
Soooo… Stellantis didn’t sign up for CARB when California went out on its own. Asked after the fact for the same deal as original companies that signed up and now must meet CARB standards at state by state level. Dealers ignored this decision and or it wasn’t really publicized to them. Now they won’t have their best selling models in the CARB states.

I don’t feel sorry for anyone. They rolled the dice. This was the outcome. I find their lineup so image focused (and gas hungry) it bothers me. I have not seen any tear downs of the 4xe power train. The Caravan hybrid was not the best from what I gather.

What I want to see is how this affects their bottom line.

Stellantis has been on the verge of going out of business in the short term for so long that I dont think they have a long term plan. Just a mix of bailouts and really optimistic shareholders.

Reactions: sloeffle and EbS-P
Hopefully someone will buy the Jeep brand from Stellantis and keep it alive.

Hopefully someone will buy the Jeep brand from Stellantis and keep it alive.
I would think someone would but really jeep hasn't done much in recent years worth much attention. The gladiator is really the only thing done that brought any life back to them. The Wagoneer is a fail from my perspective. Just another boring overpriced luxury suv.

The Patriot and Compass models did not get a lot of love.

The Patriot and Compass models did not get a lot of love.
They were ok cars but nothing special and certainly not what I think of when I think jeep. Just putting a trail rated badge on them doesn't make it so.

Reactions: SpaceBus
Cherokee production was halted. What value does Jeep (and dodge) have in a market that will require EV products to meet mileage requirements?

I just like Jeeps/Wranglers a lot, my second favorite behind the Miata. A Gladiator with a manual is on my short list, but the old crossovers were more off-road capable than those from other brands. The AWD/4X4 systems are usually much more competent than competitors. I also have a soft spot for the Renegade

Reactions: EbS-P
Cherokee production was halted. What value does Jeep (and dodge) have in a market that will require EV products to meet mileage requirements?
They make one of two convertible SUVs on the market and the only convertible truck. The only MFG to sell cars with removable doors as well.

The name and the wrangler. Plus names like wagoneer renegade gladiator commando etc yes it would need further development but that's enough for someone to buy

The name and the wrangler. Plus names like wagoneer renegade gladiator commando etc yes it would need further development but that's enough for someone to buy
do people who care about those names want an EV in the next 5 maybe 8 years. Does the Gladiator have a V8 option? They look cool especially with big tires. But just the V6, I’d pass and get a full size truck and add some big tires.

The Wagoneer seems popular with the moms down here. I don’t get it. It’s what you buy when your SO is a Jeep/ Mopar die hard.

Remember Ford stopped taking (and I think might have canceled some) Bronco orders. And can probably keep making and selling in all 50 states because they have EVs.

I never have been a Jeep fan boy. But I did pull up next to a 392 4 door and made a mental note that it sounded good. Just looked up the price. $88k for the rubicon. I’ll pass.

do people who care about those names want an EV in the next 5 maybe 8 years. Does the Gladiator have a V8 option? They look cool especially with big tires. But just the V6, I’d pass and get a full size truck and add some big tires.

The Wagoneer seems popular with the moms down here. I don’t get it. It’s what you buy when your SO is a Jeep/ Mopar die hard.
I wouldn't buy one either but that's because my trucks are all minimum 3/4 ton trucks and used for work. But they offer a gas and a diesel v6 both with plenty of power to tow or haul up to the trucks abilities. And even the gas v6 is comparable in power to the chevy 5.3. The diesel is on par with the Ford 5.0 and the dodge 5.7

And I am sure there are plenty of people who would buy an electric or hybrid wrangler etc. Why wouldn't they if it's done well.

Last edited:
Remember Ford stopped taking (and I think might have canceled some) Bronco orders. And can probably keep making and selling in all 50 states because they have EVs.

I never have been a Jeep fan boy. But I did pull up next to a 392 4 door and made a mental note that it sounded good. Just looked up the price. $88k for the rubicon. I’ll pass.
LOL, the Gladiator is not meant for real truck duty. It's literally a Wrangler unlimited with a bed. These are off road toys that can be driven on the street. Not sure why you need a Rubicon unless you are a serious off road enthusiast. Even a Compass 4x4 is good enough for what most people consider to be going off road.

Reactions: sloeffle
Ford has admitted that with new corporate fuel average standards that they are going to have to sell fewer large trucks with a higher markup. Lots more turbos and intercoolers with fuel curves that are designed to be economical over the EPA test cycle. That means fewer stripped "fleet specials" and more Ranger Raptors. The folks who can afford the payments or have the cash who are willing to pay to show off will still buy them and Ford will make the same amount of money selling less big trucks at a higher markup. IMHO, that is why they are going to the special order business models. For the "common folk" let them buy Maverick hybrids that get much higher fuel economy.

Reactions: sloeffle
LOL, the Gladiator is not meant for real truck duty. It's literally a Wrangler unlimited with a bed. These are off road toys that can be driven on the street. Not sure why you need a Rubicon unless you are a serious off road enthusiast. Even a Compass 4x4 is good enough for what most people consider to be going off road.
Well it's meant for the same amount of real truck duty as most half ton crew cab short bed trucks on the market.

3.5 L v6 (which is what my 2011 Honda mini van has ) are good for up to 280 hp / torque numbers.

Looks like the will stop making the 3.0L Italian eco diesel. So that’s out and means the Gladiator is stuck with the gasoline V6 after this year. At least Ford puts turbos in the Bronco. At any rate they (wrangler, gladiator, bronco) are as aerodynamic as a brick. But all looked great with extra large tires. (Need that 8-10 speed transmissions low first and second gear to get the them moving). Anyway the YouTube video I watched the 4xe got 17 miles of EV only range on the highway. It has a 49 mpge rating for what it’s worth.

I do t see how only stocking those in Carb states really makes a big impact on fleet mileage. I guess 49 is better than 20.
Well it's meant for the same amount of real truck duty as most half ton crew cab short bed trucks on the market.
driving yourself to your office job while dropping kid off on the way is “real truck” duty down here.

I find it much more comparable to the Colorado, Ranger, and Tacoma than a half ton. Which I suppose could be used for hard work, but we are talking about a Wrangler pickup truck, it's definitely meant to be a toy more than for work. I want one for driving down hunting/logging roads so I can toss game animals or fish into the bed and not have to sit with them in the cab or cargo area of an SUV. I would be lying if I said that I don't want a Rubicon, but I don't see myself spending the extra money when the "standard" axles are pretty tough and the rear has an LSD anyway. I've actually driven an automatic Gladiator when we took our car to the dealer for some service, and it's a nice rig. The manual is the only way I would get one, but it looks like I'll be shopping used when the time comes anyway.