Gas stove btu for first floor

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

anonymous1977

Mar 3, 2021
NJ
I was previously advised that a gas stove in the basement could even be 24k btu (specific model I had in mind) because I only need to bring the temp up 10degree from 60 to 70 degrees (I have central air conditioning). However I have found I cannot do an install in the basement. So I am thinking of doing in my living room in the first floor. First floor is 1250 sq ft and has family room with a high ceiling of 17 ft. I know I need to bump up the btu. Would 30k btu be ok or should I spring for a 40k btu? The difference in cost is $1000 all in. I live in NJ.

In the case of heating with gas, bigger IS better.
If you buy a BIG BTU unit & you are too warm,
you can always turn the flames or the blower (or both) down.
If you buy a smaller BTU unit & you don't get warm enough,
you will have to dress in layers or get out the blankets...

The maximum BTU I am finding is a Lopi cypress bay with 40000BTU or a Regency U39 with a 38000BTU. Will this be sufficient for a first floor of 1250 sqft which is already being heated with central heat?

The two highest BTU gas stoves I am finding are the following. I have a 1250sq foot first floor space. The first one is 40kBTU and second one is 38kBTU. Is this level of BTU sufficient and is a 2kBTU difference between the two above material? Also how are efficiency ratings and heat related? As an example it a 40Kbtu has 70pct efficiency would I expect a 40kbtu heat or 28kbtu heat?

Stoves are rated by BTU INPUT. That number x the efficiency = BTU OUTPUT
40K x .7 = 28K. 28K is the heat you will get.
Whether or not is adequately heats your area, will depend on the amount of insulation in the
walls (& ceiling). If you have central heat, you can get a smaller stove.
If your central heat goes out, a smaller stove may not heat you...

I believe there is conflicting information on this. One of the hearth professional told me that the device will deliver the rated btu and we should not be multiplying by efficiency rating.

I would question his status as a "professional."
I've been trying to help you for a couple of months
so you can make an informed decision.
If you feel that I am misguiding you, fine.
Someone else in here can guide you.
Good luck with your project.

Reactions: Brooks89 and 49er