Gas stove question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mainely Saws

Feeling the Heat
Jan 11, 2010
Topsham , Me.
Hello folks ,
I'm looking into buying a propane stove to heat 1000 sq ft. & so far I'm impressed by the Lopi Berkshire but I'm wondering if there are any propane stoves out there that qualify for the $1500 tax credit ?

Thanks for any help ........

I don't think any gas stoves or fireplaces are in there. If they even had considered any of them I would know about it since I work at a dealer.

Thanks for the reply JTP 10181 , I'm assuming the reason is because they don't meet the minimum efficiency quidelines ?

I need to heat 1000 sq. ft. with it , all on one floor & fairly open floor plan . Most of the time I have my wood stove going & there are some electric baseboards for back up heat so the Lopi wouldn't be heating the entire space all on it's own ....

Mainely Saws said:
Thanks for the reply JTP 10181 , I'm assuming the reason is because they don't meet the minimum efficiency quidelines ?

Nope. Not the efficiency, but the fuel type.
They don't burn bio-fuels...

Last Fall I had a 95% efficient propane furnace installed in another house that qualifies for the tax credit , is it just propane wood stoves ?

DAKSY said:
Mainely Saws said:

Nope. Not the efficiency, but the fuel type.
They don't burn bio-fuels...

Some propane heaters qualify with the correct efficiency rating. Maybe not freestanding stoves. I should check to see if the Mantis qualifies for any of the non biomass energy credits.

Mainely Saws, there was a category for high efficiency gas house heaters (furnace, boiler, geothermal, etc..). But there was no category for gas space heaters (fireplaces and stoves). The gas stoves never even had a chance.

Thanks JTP ,
To bad because I think a lot more gas woodstoves would be sold with the tax incentive . I haven't seen any gas wood stoves with effiency ratings over 90 % . The outfit that installed my York propane furnace said that gas units need to meet a minimum of 95% in order to qualify for the tax credit .

Status
Not open for further replies.