Gasket change

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

zrock

Minister of Fire
Dec 2, 2017
bc
Just figured I'd toss this up here. Got a used stove and have been running it for a few weeks. The flame has always been inconsistent be high one min and just about out the next and glass always got dirty fast. . Tested door and it tested good so I just figured it was the Stove. I noticed that the handle one day hung more to the left then right. So I figured i needed new door handle but before ordering I figured I'd change gasket first before spending $70 on a new handle. Pretty amazing the difference is for a gasket that tested good. Flame is nice and consistent and much hotter been running most of the day and I can still see through the glass..
Now the new burn pot and ignitor is ordered...

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

Glad you figured it out. What stove do you have? kap

Well I may have messed up and packed the hinge side of door to tight. I just noticed a glow around top few inches close to hinge side. I guess if it has a air leak up their it would keep the flame high and keep the glass clean.... the damper changes the flame but not to the same point as before almost putting out fire. Have to check fit when I shut it down

definitely messed up the casket did the paper test and no resistance in that spot. I had pulled the rope in that spot but i thought i had pushed it back up. But i guess between to much rope on the hinge side and to little in that spot i just could not compress it enough

Found the issue upper door hinge was tweeted a bit not allowing a seal. Wish I would have noticed that before tearing out new gasket...lol..

Fixed with a big hammer :cool:

Big hammer with a gentle touch..lol. Flame seems to be under control I can probably put it out with damper