General chain saw questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

48rob

Feeling the Heat
Oct 11, 2010
Illinois
I currently have a Poulan Pro 16" saw which is around 35cc.
The bar length is good for what I cut.
It is a homeowner model though, and I wear them out about 1 a year.
They cost me about $130-$150 depending if they're on sale.

I've started on a land clearing project which involves a lot of bucking, as we're going to be in the firewood business, at least temporarily, until the job is done (couple years) then back to regular maintenance, which is still a lot of cutting.

The last few days of cutting has got me thinking that if I had a different 16" saw with a larger engine, I could make my bucking cuts a lot faster.
I have 20+ cords to cut, so increasing cutting speed helps increase profit...or reduce loss, depending how you look at it...
Would that be true that a larger engine/more power, will cut through a log faster?

Other benefits of moving to a pro model saw would be weight reduction, and of course longer saw life, correct?

I'm considering a Stihl.

The MS 270 at $430.00 is in my price range of $500.00 or less.
It is a 50cc weighing about the same as my current saw (14#)

The MS 290 farm boss at $365.00, at 56cc and about 15#

Thanks!

Rob

Step up to a good 50cc saw running .325 pitch chain. These do well with 16-18" bars.

Husqvarna NE346XP/Jonsered 2153
Stihl 260/261
Dolmar 5100s/5105

The next bump in productivity is a 60cc saw that can competently run 3/8" pitch chain. You can bury a 20" bar in hardwood with any of these saws.

Stihl 361/362
Dolmar/Makita 6400/6401

And then there's 70cc+:
Stihl 441/460
Husqvarna 372XP/Jonsered 2171
Dolmar/Makita 7300/7900

I have a Stihl MS361 (20", 3/8, .050, 7t) that makes a great one-saw firewood cutter. It replaces an MS290 that was heavier, used more fuel, had less grunt, couldn't competently run a 20" bar, and had poor antivibration tech.

I have a 290. I normally run a 16" bar on it with a chisel chain. I have a 20" bar with a green safety chain for felling larger trees. It will speed up your work.

I'd keep the other saw around for limbing and removing the new saw if it's bar gets pinched.

I can't speak about any of the other saws.

Matt

I'd move my budget up just slightly and get a pro grade 50cc saw. The saw will be making you money.

Stihl 261
Husqvarna 346XP
Jonsered 2153
Dolmar 5100

20 cords isnt alot but under 500.00 might check out the 310

Bought a 310 a couple of years ago- plenty of power, cuts with ease. Recommend no larger than an 18" bar as the 20" tends to bog down a bit on the larger cuts.

Happy hunting!

Thanks for all the replies!

I'm off to research all the suggestions.
The .325 is "better" than 3/8 because it is narrower, and thus takes less power?

Rob

48rob said:
Thanks for all the replies!

I'm off to research all the suggestions.
The .325 is "better" than 3/8 because it is narrower, and thus takes less power?

Rob

That is it in a nutshell, but if you plan to run a 16" most of the saws mentioned, except maybe the 270 will handle 3/8" just fine. I run 3/8" on all of my saws except the 260, which is .325.

Select the saw you want first and then decide on the chain

BTW, search around dealers close to you......they may have some 260's on sale with the new 261's coming. My local dealer has a 260 Pro on sale for $449. Absolutely smoking deal.

My next saw will have an 18-inch bar (same as I have now which seems to be a good length -- not too long, but not too short) and at least 50 ccs of power.

I used to think the bigger saws were too heavy for general cutting so I always used my 350 with 18" bar. Lately I've been using my 372xp with 24" bar and have to say it makes cutting a lot easier. Sure it's heavy but I don't bend down as much and it's so much faster that it makes cutting seem easier. Power to cut right through 20" oak logs like butter. I picked my saw up used for just under $500 and it was worth every dollar. I love the Husky saws but any of the pro line saws are going to be good. Don't avoid used if it's been taken care of.

fortydegnorth said:
I used to think the bigger saws were too heavy for general cutting so I always used my 350 with 18" bar. Lately I've been using my 372xp with 24" bar and have to say it makes cutting a lot easier. Sure it's heavy but I don't bend down as much and it's so much faster that it makes cutting seem easier. Power to cut right through 20" oak logs like butter. I picked my saw up used for just under $500 and it was worth every dollar. I love the Husky saws but any of the pro line saws are going to be good. Don't avoid used if it's been taken care of.

And there you have it.....A Few oz's. lighter does not make the job easier! I will run my 460 28 inch bar most of the time. Unless its full of small limbs. If your in the woods this really isnt much of an issue.

48rob said:
I currently have a Poulan Pro 16" saw which is around 35cc.
The bar length is good for what I cut.
It is a homeowner model though, and I wear them out about 1 a year.
They cost me about $130-$150 depending if they're on sale.

I've started on a land clearing project which involves a lot of bucking, as we're going to be in the firewood business, at least temporarily, until the job is done (couple years) then back to regular maintenance, which is still a lot of cutting.

The last few days of cutting has got me thinking that if I had a different 16" saw with a larger engine, I could make my bucking cuts a lot faster.
I have 20+ cords to cut, so increasing cutting speed helps increase profit...or reduce loss, depending how you look at it...
Would that be true that a larger engine/more power, will cut through a log faster?

Other benefits of moving to a pro model saw would be weight reduction, and of course longer saw life, correct?

I'm considering a Stihl.

The MS 270 at $430.00 is in my price range of $500.00 or less.
It is a 50cc weighing about the same as my current saw (14#)

The MS 290 farm boss at $365.00, at 56cc and about 15#

Thanks!

Rob

Personally, I'd forget about weight. I grew up cutting firewood, and I know dozens of loggers and scores of wood cutters and I never heard anyone say anything about chainsaw weight till I joined this forum. If you can't get it done with a 15lb saw you won't get it done with a 14lb saw either. All that said either the 270 or 290 will be leaps ahead of your Poulan.

I'll also vote for the 50cc pro (or semi-pro) saw. For a 16" bar it's all you need and $$$ is a big factor as always. I've run a 270/280 and they are nice saws, lighter and reportedly smoother than the 290, but more $ and a little less power. The 290 is already smoother than a poulan.
I'd personally be looking-out for a deal on a 260 Pro under $500. They have been replaced by the 261 so you may find a dealer willing to budge on price to clear old inventory. Or the 261 is around $550 in these parts.
Any of these saws will be miles ahead of your Poulan.
The most bang for the buck is always the 290 IMO. Everything above that is just gravy. Gravy is good though.

After buying an actual professional saw, I will never go any either way now. I cut my firewood with a 372XP, it cuts through large logs quite fast. In my book, small saws are for limbing or climbing (which I don't do).

I like the 3/8 pitch chain which is why I am looking for a good used 026/260. It seems a lot "tuffer" to me, not requiring sharpening as much as the .325 chain.

midwestcoast said:
I'll also vote for the 50cc pro (or semi-pro) saw. For a 16" bar it's all you need and $$$ is a big factor as always. I've run a 270/280 and they are nice saws, lighter and reportedly smoother than the 290, but more $ and a little less power. The 290 is already smoother than a poulan.
I'd personally be looking-out for a deal on a 260 Pro under $500. They have been replaced by the 261 so you may find a dealer willing to budge on price to clear old inventory. Or the 261 is around $550 in these parts.
Any of these saws will be miles ahead of your Poulan.
The most bang for the buck is always the 290 IMO. Everything above that is just gravy. Gravy is good though.

Yep, I'm thinking of grabbing the 260 Pro for $449 at my dealer, but I already have one and they have a BR600 blower for the same price!

I did my research on line, then shopped the 3 local dealers.
What a surprise!
One of the "authorized" dealers knew nothing about the MS 261 I chose, not even the fact that it existed...
The second dealer was nice, and tried to be helpful, but only had the MS 260 in stock.
The third dealer did have the MS 261 in stock, but knew very little about it.
He insisted that the adjustable oiler only came on the bigger saws, and didn't know they switched to capture nuts on the chain adjuster, didn't know of the horsepower increase, etc, etc.
In their defense, all of the above dealers sell Stihl saws as a sideline, perhaps in heavily timbered areas of the country, the dealers do enough volume to keep up on their product...

I would have considered the 260, but it was priced at $509, no discount for being an old/obsolete model.
The 261 sold for $519, so for ten bucks, It would have been foolish to choose the older model.
I pointed this out to the dealers with the older model, to be fair to them and explain why I wouldn't be buying from them, as from a customers point of view, it was just crazy for me to buy an older model for a difference of only $10.00

I kind of feel bad for them, apparently Stihl doesn't offer any "help" to the dealers to move obsolete stock when the new models come out.

So, after all that, here is the one I bought.
It came with an 18" bar, but I had the dealer order in a 16" bar and several chains, as I prefer the shorter length for carrying in my service truck, and rarely need to cut down anything larger than about a 3' tree.

Rob

7d1265f4365d757c45337b0ee315c6abf2d815ed.jpg

54036dec443b514956ab40b2358f02d1ca38abb0.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.