Generator deal today

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jharkin

Minister of Fire
Oct 21, 2009
Holliston, MA USA
Update - Look up reviews for "sportsman" on amazon and it doesn't look good.

Keep buying cheap disposable stuff and they'll keep making it and making it even more disposable.... just saying. Maybe put that 150$ aside just this once. Save some cash, heachaches, etc :)

Reactions: Jazzberry
Keep buying cheap disposable stuff and they'll keep making it and making it even more disposable.... just saying. Maybe put that 150$ aside just this once. Save some cash, heachaches, etc :)

And the job you save might be yours!

Reactions: Jazzberry

If you want to know I pretty much NEVER buy the cheap stuff... Its just this one was so silly cheap it was almost worth a look even if it only lasted a season or two.

I was mostly passing along for the members who cant afford all the high end brands.

I bought one of them this week because I needed a little inverter. Can't get it to start and am now starting the drill with Home Depot for a replacement.

If you want to know I pretty much NEVER buy the cheap stuff... Its just this one was so silly cheap it was almost worth a look even if it only lasted a season or two.

I was mostly passing along for the members who cant afford all the high end brands.
My comment wasn't meant to you specifically, no I'll intent OK. Was just a general post about how the world is changing because of us.

Last edited:
We Are Amused.

Image-1556892921.jpg

Reactions: rowerwet
If anybody was looking for a step up, the Champion 1600W/2000W inverter model is $450 at Cabela's right now - almost as low as the $400 Black Friday price.

Even the current price is a great deal for a generator with a well-established reputation. I just hope it didn't get there by excessive cost-cutting in the quality department.

I bought one of them this week because I needed a little inverter. Can't get it to start and am now starting the drill with Home Depot for a replacement.

I read your post wrong the first time and thought, "One end of the crankshaft past the bearings must be exposed and have a recess for a square drive or something like that. That's brilliant!"

Now I'm disappointed.

Reactions: BrotherBart
Champion has a good reputation in the US???

It's obviously not a Honda designed for daily, full-shift use, but among casual users, the reviews are mostly pretty good, including several users on this site.

Did you have contrasting experience?

The outstanding thing I have seen over the years is the kudos people give Champion for customer service and support.

Over here they are praised after purchase apart from being loud. But a year later they are cursed and sold cheap. Good to hear about the customer service though. That alone makes me buy a product. BK is a good example here.

It's obviously not a Honda designed for daily, full-shift use, but among casual users, the reviews are mostly pretty good, including several users on this site.

Did you have contrasting experience?

They are usually yellow the hondas are red. Although Champion does have some red generators they made for Costco. Kidding aside. The RV folks swear by them. I have a 2000w champion invertor have used it during power outages non stop except to refuel for several days straight. Never had a problem.

Over here they are praised after purchase apart from being loud. But a year later they are cursed and sold cheap. Good to hear about the customer service though. That alone makes me buy a product. BK is a good example here.

I have to wonder with generators in particular if a lot of bad reviews might be caused by owners leaving the tanks half full of gas with no stabilizer. If so, buying a used one for cheap and rebuilding the carb could be a bargain.

RV'ers generally seem happy with them and are a demographic that should know how to store a generator. The main complaint they seem to get there is they don't handle large in-rush loads such as from air conditioners or power tools nearly as well as the Honda.

I have the Champion 2000W inverter generator. The main use is for 5 days for each of the last 4 years during a group camping trip in an area with no electricity, about 60 hours of run time each year. Use it to run the 30-cup coffee maker, a small fridge, and charge small devices. That coffee quickly makes everyone happy in the morning. One issue only: if it runs out of gas, difficult to re-start until after it has rested for several hours. Solution: don't let it run out of gas. Otherwise, flawless operation, reasonably quiet, especially on eco-mode, and so far has used just about 0 oil. Very satisfied.

If anybody was looking for a step up, the Champion 1600W/2000W inverter model is $450 at Cabela's right now - almost as low as the $400 Black Friday price.

I got one during the black Friday sale. Ordered it online and got free shipping. So far I've only run it for the 5 hour break in period. But it starts easy and is quiet.

Champion has a good reputation in the US???

Yes. An excellent reputation. Second only to honda but not really since honda doesn't sell anything for such low prices.

I have owned a couple and put lots of use on them. Mostly running rv air conditioning in high ambient temps.

My current champion is my favorite. An inverter 3100 watt model. Fully enclosed portable with the low rpm eco mode.

Buy quality if like us snowbirds you lose power too often to miss the Patriots' wins.
Honda EU7000is. Yes, it's big $$$$, but starts, puts out ;em, runs dead quiet, eco mode, sips gas, inverter. A beast.
It was a choice between a Kohler standby gen and this Honda. Honda won.

Reactions: Light in the Dark
Buy quality if like us snowbirds you lose power too often to miss the Patriots' wins.
Honda EU7000is. Yes, it's big $$$$, but starts, puts out ;em, runs dead quiet, eco mode, sips gas, inverter. A beast.
It was a choice between a Kohler standby gen and this Honda. Honda won.
I would hate to get it home and find it doesn't run the well pump (my situation).

I would hate to get it home and find it doesn't run the well pump (my situation).
I am not aware of any homeowner well pump that 7000 watts wont crank up. And a 7000 W inverter genny will have 220V to tap into if needed.

I am not aware of any homeowner well pump that 7000 watts wont crank up. And a 7000 W inverter genny will have 220V to tap into if needed.
I think I had a 5 k generator that wouldn't do it. I upgraded to a 7.5 k (steady output) and that did the trick. Somehow, I just KNOW that if I brought home an expensive 7k inverter generator (is the one above 7k surge or steady?), that it would NOT start up the well pump. Then, I couldn't return it, etc, etc. Perhaps I just feel that I'm not lucky.

Status
Not open for further replies.