generator dog house shed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

The.Devo

May 26, 2018
MA
My wife has been asking for a dog house to go around the generator for a while now. What have you built? Looking for ideas on keeping it quiet and dry.

From a friends experience who built a few for himself and his customers.

Make it larger than you think it needs to be and make sure it has a ton of ventilation. They overheated a bit and died.

Reactions: The.Devo
From a friends experience who built a few for himself and his customers.

Make it larger than you think it needs to be and make sure it has a ton of ventilation. They overheated a bit and died.

The generators . . . or your friends? ;)

The generators . . . or your friends? ;)
LOL.
No not mine but I had one as well. I bought a few for him as Grainger had sent me a clearance sale announcement and they were a great price with a Honda engine.

Mine died for other reasons as I didn't need a dog house.

One trick I have seen is to put hinges on the roof so it can be folded up to work on things.

Reactions: The.Devo
My wife has been asking for a dog house to go around the generator for a while now. What have you built? Looking for ideas on keeping it quiet and dry.

I put only 3 walls on mine... The back wall is open and that side faces the house, under the eave. Saves ventilation and overheating issues.

I made it out of 1/2" plywood scraps and a bunch of old paint, and it's lasted... a while. I made it for hurricane sandy, so... 9 years? Jeez.

I remember the first time I used it I backed a car up to it so it couldn't blow away!