Generators + electronics...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Generac GP5500. I just looked at the manual to see if there are any voltage or frequency tolerances, but unfortunately they just list it at 120/240VAC and 60Hz. No listing of THD or voltage regulation %.

I just picked up a nice Generator, Genrac 4000exl used. Did some searches on the web and found some reviews from Ham Radio guys, all said the unit was great with their radio equipment so I think it will work with my stoves just fine.

BradH70 said:
I have a Generac GP5500. I just looked at the manual to see if there are any voltage or frequency tolerances, but unfortunately they just list it at 120/240VAC and 60Hz. No listing of THD or voltage regulation %.

I have been searching around on the Generac web site and found that the THD of the GP5500 is as much as 28%. That seems a little to high to be comfortably powering sensitive electronics.

You want double conversion --- you can get it here for a lot less money. I never like APC, they don't play well in the big UNIX and Mac world
tripplite_ups

richkorn said:
St_Earl,

Did you ever decide to get one of those Powerhorse portables?

I've been looking at the Powerhorse 9000, and for the money looks like a good buy.
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200419025_200419025

i did get the powerhorse 2200.
it started on the second pull right out of the crate.
i have the seafoam gas additive in it. and will be running it regularly to keep it in working condition.
it does have a gas switch. so you can run the carb dry when you're shutting down.

i figure on just being very vigilant about oil changes.
it is an inverter genny. with <5% thd.
obviously it's no honda. but i expect it to do the job for me when and if we have outages.

the engine is made in china. but was developed here and is in use with a lot of the other powerhorse equipment.
powerwashers and concrete finishers etc... and is spoken well of.

Status
Not open for further replies.