Get em goin!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Henz

Hearth Supporter
Mar 23, 2006
Northville, NY
Supposed to have the first real good frost tonight..Definatly a fire night! Wife had one going when I got home from work last night, 81 degrees in the house with three windows slightly cracked..! IT wasent a real cold day yesterday, but damp and cool...Tonight on the other hand, mid to low 30's here.

I'm an upstatewoodburner and this COULD be the night. Part of me wants to tough it out AT LEAST till Nov. 1, but I just installed a "new" stove and I'd sure love to run it through it's paces. If it's lower than 40 by 9pm, I'm lighting it. Don't try and stop me.

if you have a new stove, havent you done the progressive burns in it to properly cure it yet?

Adirondackwoodburner said:
if you have a new stove, havent you done the progressive burns in it to properly cure it yet?
lools like he said "new" stove, not new stove, hoh boy thats splttin hairs huh?

Adirondackwoodburner said:
Supposed to have the
first real good frost tonight..Definatly a fire night!

Ba! Not here buddy. 60's during the day,
mid 40's at night. Still 68F in house at
night with no heat source on at all.
Saving my fuel for the real cold. :)

Started the outdoor furnace yesterday- with pex tube in the concrete floor- I knew it was going to take a while to heat up----wrong, It was 75 in the basement,72 upstairs by 9 pm last night. Put two more logs in at 4 pm tonight- still warm
(69) now, but tonight calls for 32 (probably 28 up here at 1100').

just kicked over the pellet stove, gonna burn it for a couple hours just to knock the chill off and see what the fire looks like . i need to pull it down and go over it before the season really kicks in , this fire is as much to see what hints the stove gives me as far as gasket needs and such. as well as to check out function. bloody thing fired in 4 minutes with the pellets that were left in it from last spring ( i know i was a bad boy leaving fuel that way, but i was curious and my stove is as much a research project as much as a heater) should have her ready before the weekend is over for what im hoping is a long burning season.

Been running the pellet stoves at the store and at the house off and on for the past couple weeks. N/E Ohio has been 60's in the day but 40's at night.

Eric

Bah. 82 in the house now, 75 outside.
I wasted a few pellets this morning because the wife was cold. After an hour, she was opening windows.

Lows forecast at 50 degrees the next several nights. That's comfortable sleeping weather for me.

I've been burning for a month now. 6 bags of pellets and over a third of a cord so far. roben.

House was 60 when I got home today.......now a nice 72

Lit the first fire tonight. Been hitting lows in the low 40's and highs in the upper 60's - the the trees that have shaded the house so well during the summer (and cut $100's off the electric bill) still have most all their leaves - so now they are hurting me by not letting the house get any solar gain.

Not much of a fire - just a few 2x4's and some pallet scraps, but enough to get the house temp from 62 when i got home up to 78 or so now.

Corey

a nice 71 here inside (outside 40)

a few brandy's by the insert watching the fire while in a recliner is an awesome feeling!!

[quote author="zeta" ] Saving my fuel for the real cold. :)[/quote]

you don't have enough stockpiled :confused: ;)

Stevebass4 said:
[quote author="zeta" ] Saving my fuel for the real cold. :)

you don't have enough stockpiled :confused: ;)[/quote]

Zeta be a pellet stove burner. Them suckers are expensive.

that sucks.... ;)

Down to 38 -- I lit it.

I knew the "new" woodstove had gotten a coat of fresh paint before I bought it, but I thought it was only in one spot (where a teapot had set). So now the house is fumeagated and the beautiful black stove is turning grey. Sigh. I wonder if they used a cheap paint of if that's just what stoves do. Oh well.

But the house is warming nicely and the flames are beautiful (first stove w/ a window -- Lopi Endeavor). Can't give a temp report yet because I have a window cracked to keep is from dying of asphixiation.

Flue temp right by the stove is 450 and on the hottest part of the top of the stove it's running 750 -- 775.

46 heading to the 30's tonight. The Castine is warm and happy. Me too!

hey rhetoric, did you start a small fire first and let it cool back down etc? All fresh paint needs to be slowly (3 progressive burns) cured..I think you just may have overfired that paint job!

Nope. Have enough pellets stockpiled for the entire winter, but why waste fuel
when it's not cold here? I don't like it 80F inside the house. High 60's - low 70's
is comfy for me. Ymmv. 68F in here overnight with no heat source on.
BB I got a sweet deal on the pellets this year so I can't complain about price. ;-)

zeta, what might be a sweet deal?

"Flue temp right by the stove is 450 and on the hottest part of the top of the stove it’s running 750—775."

WOW...I have two magnet thermometers. I have one on the right front of the stove and one on the flue. The are always within 50 degrees of each other.

Status
Not open for further replies.