Getting back in the game

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kindle

Jan 23, 2013
Central Pennsylvania
My wife and I purchased a new home in September. We love the house and the beautiful views that we have, but one thing is lacking - wood/pellet heat. We had a Quadrafire Castille pellet stove and a Quadrafire Millenium woodstove that we heated our previous house with and we sure miss those stoves and the 75 degree house temperature in the winter. The heat pump in the new house don't keep us warm like wood/pellet heat does. Hate watching a television program with a blanket over me and I miss watching the fire. Enough is enough - we are having a Quadrafire Mt Vernon AE insert installed in a few weeks. We are taking out the propane gas fireplace and putting a Mt Vernon in its place. The gas fireplace was basically for show - threw little heat. Excited to be getting back to heating with pellets. Looking at putting a woodstove in the basement later on. Once a woodburner, always a woodburner.:)

Reactions: will711
very well said Kindle

Welcome back! Don't forget the pic's of the new toy!

You'd better start getting ready and get some pellets stashed........ ;)

Welcome back! Don't forget the pic's of the new toy!

You'd better start getting ready and get some pellets stashed........ ;)

I will certainly post pictures - hope to have it up and running by mid-February. Wish it was sooner..... The stove dealer has Energex & Green Team pellets and the local Lowes has Cheat River pellets. What do you think ? I have burned Energex & Allegheny in the past with mixed results.

My wife and I purchased a new home in September. We love the house and the beautiful views that we have, but one thing is lacking - wood/pellet heat. We had a Quadrafire Castille pellet stove and a Quadrafire Millenium woodstove that we heated our previous house with and we sure miss those stoves and the 75 degree house temperature in the winter. The heat pump in the new house don't keep us warm like wood/pellet heat does. Hate watching a television program with a blanket over me and I miss watching the fire. Enough is enough - we are having a Quadrafire Mt Vernon AE insert installed in a few weeks. We are taking out the propane gas fireplace and putting a Mt Vernon in its place. The gas fireplace was basically for show - threw little heat. Excited to be getting back to heating with pellets. Looking at putting a woodstove in the basement later on. Once a woodburner, always a woodburner.:)
That's my set-up as well. Pellet stove and wood stove. My pellet stove picks on the wood stove, telling him he requires "too much attention." The wood stove in turn, picks on my pellet stove, calling her "incompetent" and "weak"....but together they make a great team, often covering for eachother when it gets really cold. People who do not have stoves are fine...as long as they have never owned one previously. It's people like YOU, who HAVE had them, that will miss them once they are gone. It's going to be a long three weeks my friend, but once it is in you will have your "fix." I am excited with you! Good luck.

Reactions: 5654684 and will711
That's my set-up as well. Pellet stove and wood stove. My pellet stove picks on the wood stove, telling him he requires "too much attention." The wood stove in turn, picks on my pellet stove, calling her "incompetent" and "weak"....but together they make a great team, often covering for eachother when it gets really cold. People who do not have stoves are fine...as long as they have never owned one previously. It's people like YOU, who HAVE had them, that will miss them once they are gone. It's going to be a long three weeks my friend, but once it is in you will have your "fix." I am excited with you! Good luck.
Thank you CT. First winter in 16 years that I haven't been burning a wood or pellet stove and I sure missed cutting firewood this past Fall. I sure hope my Husky isn't too upset with me :p

Reactions: jtakeman
I will certainly post pictures - hope to have it up and running by mid-February. Wish it was sooner..... The stove dealer has Energex & Green Team pellets and the local Lowes has Cheat River pellets. What do you think ? I have burned Energex & Allegheny in the past with mixed results.
Depends on prices. But I'm a bit frugle. I haven't tried the cheat rivers yet as they aren't in my area. But many member have weighed in and they sound promising to say the least. Energex and GT's are both good pellets. Heat is good, But the ash is a bit more than average with them. I'd at least grab a 1/2 dozen bags of Cheat Rivers to try em.

I fell in love with the Allegheny, But they don't make it up here. Keep your eye out for pellets in your travels. If nothing else it helps pass the time while waiting on the new toy.

Huh....missed cutting firewood? You on crack?
Crazy aren't I :confused: I think my desire to find a good stash of firewood is being overtaken by a desire to find a stash of good pellets !

Depends on prices. But I'm a bit frugle. I haven't tried the cheat rivers yet as they aren't in my area. But many member have weighed in and they sound promising to say the least. Energex and GT's are both good pellets. Heat is good, But the ash is a bit more than average with them. I'd at least grab a 1/2 dozen bags of Cheat Rivers to try em.

I fell in love with the Allegheny, But they don't make it up here. Keep your eye out for pellets in your travels. If nothing else it helps pass the time while waiting on the new toy.
Thank you J. I actually discovered that a landscaping business less than a mile from my workplace sells Allegheny pellets. I am going to grab some Alleghenys and some Cheat Rivers from the local Lowes. I am also going to get some Energex and Green Team from my stove dealer and give them all a try.

All those fumes from those two stroke chainsaws must have him addicted.

Status
Not open for further replies.