Getting gassed by an OWB

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

peakbagger

Minister of Fire
Jul 11, 2008
Northern NH
I was out hiking today and came down the mountain to a small village near the trailhead. It was definitely a cloudy day and wood smoke was hanging low. When I was walking towards the village I could smell very acrid smoke, initially I thought was an old high sulfur coal boiler or a pulp and paper recovery boiler. My back of my throat was burning and as I walked along the road to my car it got worse and then got a bit better. A few minutes later I was driving home and I started hacking, its now been a couple of hours and I am still hacking. I used to work in industry and I can tell when I got exposed to nasty stuff. Sulfur dioxide will convert to mild sulfuric acid when breathed in and that irritates the lungs.

There are couple of OWBs that I noticed upwind, all had low exhausts and the plumes were dropping to the ground. It was fairly warm (for northern NH) so I expect the boilers were idling with the air damper closed.

I don't expect permanent damage but I really wonder what the heck someone was burning. All I can guess is someone got a deal on some high sulfur coal and was stretching their wood supply or they decided to get rid of a load of pressure treated by burning it. Considering I was only there around 10 minutes I will survive but wonder how the locals can live with it. Hope there are no kids around

Burning wood treated with CCA or any of the other preservative chemicals can put some nasty stuff into the air - No idea what was there, doesn't seem like plain old wood smoke would cause such a reaction -

Tires, garbage, dirty diapers, really anything that fits through the door gets burned around my area. Burning wafer or particle board puts out a nasty emission.

Same thing here when we get weather inversions the whole country stinks up from OWB smoke.

sounds to me like the folks aren't using the OWB for the purpose intended if they are burning all the items you mention above. Unfortunately gives all wood burners a bad name and reputation this being a case in point. Unfortunately some appear to use their OWB as a trash incinerator it would seem.