Getting my Summit to perform better

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
What temperatures do you look for on your Summit? Right now, the top center over my door measures around 500-550. Started a fire this morning and didn't shut the air down until around 400.

Disregard. I found this oldie but goody thread:

https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/what-temperature-do-you-burn-at.11886/

You explain pretty clearly how you operate your summit. I've only had a few fires so far, so it makes me a little nervous to hit those temps! Especially if I have to leave while it's going. I'm sure I'll get more comfortable with it in time.

Thanks again, I appreciate your input Hogwildz as well as everyone else on here! This is a great resource for someone like me who's never run a stove before!

Disregard. I found this oldie but goody thread:

https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/what-temperature-do-you-burn-at.11886/

You explain pretty clearly how you operate your summit. I've only had a few fires so far, so it makes me a little nervous to hit those temps! Especially if I have to leave while it's going. I'm sure I'll get more comfortable with it in time.

Thanks again, I appreciate your input Hogwildz as well as everyone else on here! This is a great resource for someone like me who's never run a stove before!
It takes a little time and experimentation to find the sweet spot on each set up. Of course, do that while you are at home, and yes, to be checking the temp often is normal as a new burner, or new to the stove. In time, everything becomes habit, the fear lessens, and you will feel more comfortable with temps, and leaving the stove unattended after the air is cut back. You will also notice your burning habits will still improve and you will learn more about your burning habits over the next few years. Which will translate into burning less wood over that time, and everything becomes second nature. I went from loading 3x per day, dealing with excessive coals, and a very dirty stack the first year, to loading 2x per day, and very little sweepings each seasonal cleaning. Dry wood, and getting 3 years ahead is the best advise I can give. There is nothing better than loading her up, and not having to wonder if it will burn or slug along. At 3 years, the wood and heat it puts off is a dream, with no frustration of trying to keep it going. Enjoy

I ended up getting temps up to the 600 mark this morning with loading 4 splits or so. Let it climb to 400 before turning the air down. Got very lazy flames, and eventually no flames, just some coals with two half burnt logs. I had to roll them onto the coals to get them to burn. I'm guessing I can't turn my air down that much or the firebox doesn't see enough air to sustain a fire. I had to leave for a couple of hours and came home to a nice coal bed - threw in 6 splits (which is about all I could fit in there) and watched it take off. It just got to around 400, so I cut the air back a little less this time. Have to see how this plays out..

I've been noticing that at the end of the burn cycle, I've been having some unburnt chunks of wood instead of small coals. Any idea what would cause this? Am I cutting the air too much?

4 splits is our minimum load.

I've been using 6 which is about all I can fit. Still having unburnt wood
They sound like pretty thick splits then. Unburnt wood sounds like damp in the center. Try splitting some of the bigger pieces in half and leave them in the house for a couple days.

Sounds good. I'll give that a try. When I first moved into this house, I was burning mystery wood that had been sitting inside the house for 3 years - super dry! And it burned completely. So I suspect you're spot on.

Thank you!