Getting ready for next year...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Easy Livin’ 3000

Minister of Fire
Dec 23, 2015
SEPA
next year.jpg
next year.jpg

Reactions: heavy hammer
Nice mix. Good to be getting ahead. I have a mountain of cherry and oak to start splitting. Like the short idea.

Hi Ed,
Are you going to be stacking that wood in a more conventional way to allow air to flow throughout? It's important to get the air to all pieces. My first year, I left one loose stack like the one on the left, and it never did dry and the bottom pieces rotted. (Although I'm probably in a much wetter climate. Around here if you leave any wood under less than a decent shed of some kind, you're asking for it).

Good start for early March!

Hi Ed,
Are you going to be stacking that wood in a more conventional way to allow air to flow throughout? It's important to get the air to all pieces. My first year, I left one loose stack like the one on the left, and it never did dry and the bottom pieces rotted. (Although I'm probably in a much wetter climate. Around here if you leave any wood under less than a decent shed of some kind, you're asking for it).
Indeed I am! Here's a preview:
Stash 1.jpeg
Stash 2.jpeg

Ah, that's better! ;)

Top covering over exposed stacks like these are somewhat a debatable issue. Around here you just have to cover stacks and a real shelter is highly suggested. But in some climates it seems to be less of a problem.

Ah, that's better! ;)

Top covering over exposed stacks like these are somewhat a debatable issue. Around here you just have to cover stacks and a real shelter is highly suggested. But in some climates it seems to be less of a problem.
I keep them top-covered normally, but when the forecast calls for a stretch of sun, and I am feeling ambitious, I take all the covers off, then back on when rain is called for. Seems like it dries faster and better here when I do this. If I had full sun, I don't know if I'd bother, but I probably would. I have the timbers for the wood shed already purchased, stacked in the barn, but I am waiting for a good source of used/recycled metal roofing to present itself before I proceed with the shed.

Reactions: Sprinter
Feels good to be ahead doesn't it? Great pile already for only being March.

It really pays off to get an early start. I've been working at it for a few weeks now for three years down the road. At least around here, you want to get as much exposure during the summer weather as possible.

A bunch of it is white birch, and I've lost too much of that to decay to put it off very long once it is on the ground. I think that once I get the pile stacked, I'll be up to date on my 3 year plan. Does feel good, but still so much to do... .

Status
Not open for further replies.