Getting firewood ready for this winter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Workin on 2024/2025's piles now.

Reactions: Itslay90
I.am actually a little behind. I am probably 1/2 to 3/4 of a cord short right now. But the wood I am cutting from was standing dead that was cut and delivered to me 6 years ago and under cover that whole time it's 20% or less when I split it now. I have another load or 2 of logs coming this summer and I am renting a processor. So I will have wood for years after that

My wood for 23/24 was done 2 years ago. The wood for 24/25 too. The wood for 25/26 was done a few weeks ago.

20230513_120633.jpg

That's my job for tomorrow, split all of that and build some small wood sheds out of free pallets. I have a guy who calls me when he cuts down a tree and I just go and pick it up.

I have 2023 and 2024 wood stacked and ready to burn. Need to get onto 2025.

Yep, currently finishing up 25/26. Almost entirely locust and mulberry.
Half of mine for that year is locust too. Never had this much locust before...

IMG_20230413_125925777.jpg

2023/24 is in the shed all below 20% moisture. 2024/25 is just about done splitting and stacked. 2025/26 is all bucked and stacked in rows ready to split next Spring.

Always want to be minimum 3 years ahead. 23/24, 24/25, 25/26, done. Got a cord all stacked for 26/27 last month. Getting another cord by summer for 26/27. Can use this wood earlier if I fall short.

Reactions: Gearhead660
How many people have their firewood stack and getting it ready for this winter ?
This winters wood has been cut,split and stacked for quite some time now. I have wood left from what I thought I would have burned this past winter but it was so warm I didn't burn it and it's about 4 years cut and split. If the temps keep staying warm I'm year ahead now and I have logs to cut yet.

One face cord away from finishing up 27/28. We burn around 3 cords a year.

Reactions: Gearhead660
Always want to be minimum 3 years ahead. 23/24, 24/25, 25/26, done. Got a cord all stacked for 26/27 last month. Getting another cord by summer for 26/27. Can use this wood earlier if I fall short.
Same here. Working on 26/27. Also got 3-4 full cord as a backup, in case something happens.
Having woodsheds for 3 burn seasons is a must if you have the space.

Reactions: stoveliker
Half of mine for that year is locust too. Never had this much locust before...

View attachment 312789
I think you will love it. It's very dense and a little hard to get lit from scratch, but holds a long hot fire. Watch for the blue flames.

I think you will love it. It's very dense and a little hard to get lit from scratch, but holds a long hot fire. Watch for the blue flames.
Coming winter will be the first 4*4 ft stack of a bit of locust for me...I have burned some 5" thick locust cookies (that I had drying by the stove for 6 weeks...) in a load.of oak but I didn't see much different behavior. Likely not enough in that.load.

I wonder how it'll do in a no flame mode (cat). On the other hand, I'll likely use it at the coldest nights so there will be at least some flame.
We'll see.

Had about 47 face cords stacked last September and went thru about 18 cords with 2 stoves this past year. Am now cutting, splitting, and stacking to replace and build up my supply for future winters. Am getting alot of Red Oak and Ash from my neighbors 12 acre woods.

Next batch of wood I start working on for myself will be for 27/28 yr, gona wait a couple more years to make room in the yard for that

My 2024/25 wood is cut and split but I need to move a cord and half to my house from the wood lot and get it stacked at home.

I'm on 26/27. There is easily enough blow down for me to fill the need for that heating season. Beech--you gotta love it--it is both growing like crazy and dying at the same rate!