Getting Some Smokey Odor in Basement

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

velvetfoot

Minister of Fire
Dec 5, 2005
Sand Lake, NY
I'm getting some smoke odor in basement.
It's probably getting sucked into the oil flue, which is hardly on now.
The smaller chimney is the wood: sl300 with ss liner.
The oil flue is by Metalbestos.
Could I use outside air for the oil boiler and maybe block off the barometric damper - how much is that needed anyway?

5052439221_f4cb1f22ce.jpg

Any ideas?

I would install an OAK for the wood burner not the oil burner. Or extend the wood burning chimney flue higher to get it up above the other flue.

You've got a Metalbestos oil flue. I think I'd take the chance on removing the Barometric Damper to see how the oil burner performs. A lot of times the barometric units were put in to keep chimney temperatures low. I don't think you need to worry about that with the Metalbestos Class A system.

Extending the wood flue above the oil would be quite an extend. Plus the flue is sl300. Maybe shortening the oil flue and extending the wood flue would do it. Then, since the prevailing winds tend to blow the wood smoke towards the oil flue, even if the wood flue would be inactive the wind would tend to blow the oil fumes away from the wood flue. I´ll see if I can get some advice from an as yet undetermined chimney sweep.

Status
Not open for further replies.