getting stove ready for another burning season

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rich81

Dec 10, 2006
what are some of the things i should do? i have a pe super 27 and just vacuumed the ash out (i know thats gotta be bad) and made sure my chimney was clean. anything else?

inspect your gaskets , dollar bill test on the door. make sure the glass is tight in its retainers. a drop of oil on the blower motor (if applicable) some do not require oil on bearings some do , check the blowers data tag it should say , most which do take oil use a 20 weight (like a sewing machine oil or similar) dont overdo it though , just a few drops.

Just did a little tune up on mine. Replaced door gasket, removed glass, replaced the gasket for that as well. Removed bricks, vacuumed everything, took out secondary burn tubes and cleaned them up, blew them out with compressed air, picked up a few spare bricks (they were stored outside at the brickyard, and are soaking wet).

Still gotta clean the blower squirrel cage and oil if needed (20 weight non-detergent oil) and that should be it.

I need to pull the stainless chimney liner to insulate it, but weather has not cooperated here in Michigan this week. Lots of rain. The insert did fine last year, but, after reading here, I will feel better about having the liner insulated.

About 5 cords split and ready to roll, 75% is oak and sugar maple, the rest is a mix of ash and cherry. I'm about ready for it, but of course, can't have enough wood! KD

Status
Not open for further replies.