Gettting LESS heat out of an insert?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TradEddie

Minister of Fire
Jan 24, 2012
SE PA
In contrast to the other thread about getting more heat out of an insert, I often have the opposite problem, especially now that we’re in shoulder season. I read the advice here to burn small hot fires, but what does that mean in practice? Yesterday morning, I added one cherry split to the overnight embers, with a small pine scrap to help it start. That one split got the stovetop up to about 300F, but wouldn’t go higher, keeping the air control open about halfway gave a strong flame, and no visible smoke.

If I’m not looking for massive heat output, and don’t mind reloading every hour or two, is this going to work, or will I fill my liner with creosote? Do I need to get my stovetop up over 400 to get clean burns, can intense heat at the local area of the split achieve clean burns, even if less efficient due to drawing excess air up the chimney?

TE

As long is there is no smoke coming from the chimney, creosote shouldn't be an issue. My dealer and I do this all the time. She will add two or three splits at a time in the liberty in the showroom and always runs with the air wide open. After about 3 to 5 minutes no smoke. I will usually add two splits to my liberty with the air between half open and closed after 3 to 5 minutes no smoke that can get my stovetop to 600 pretty fast, but your probably running the blower. I find this method takes a lot of wood

But I don't want my stovetop at 600, I'd bake if it's anything above freezing outside.

TE

Burn smaller splits. You can burn just 3 splits at a time with a bit more air. My wife does it all the time.

Hi -
My guess is you are fine. No smike equals dry wood in my book. I do the same thing in shoulder season. Sometimes I'll light a fullload at bedtime. It's cozy warm in the morning, and cools to a nice temp by the time I'm home from work.

Enjoy,
Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.