Give me a few brands to go check out please!!!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

phishphan

Oct 18, 2014
buffalo new york
I am in the market for a gas fireplace. I have been going back and forth between regency and heat and Glo but i would like to look at a couple more brands...what else would you recommend me to check out in this $3200 price point area for a medium unit. My head is spinning with 15 different manufacturers and it would be nice to narrow my search down a bit. Thanks in advance!

Mendota blows away every other manufacturers P4 seasonal efficiency. If you are going to burn the gas you may as well get some heat out of it. They are built heavier and have a better fire.

Brad

Mendota blows away every other manufacturers P4 seasonal efficiency. If you are going to burn the gas you may as well get some heat out of it. They are built heavier and have a better fire.

Brad

Here is a link to the Canadian government's P4 database where the OP can go and search for himself. You can search by manufacturer or by minimum/maximum effiiciency across your choice of brands, or all brands. http://oee.nrcan.gc.ca/pml-lmp/index.cfm?action=app.search-recherche&appliance=FIREPLACE_G

That page also has a spreadsheet in Excel format that contains all of their ratings available for download.

As noted, Mendota's products generally score very well. There are other brands that score well and may be less expensive.

You pays your money, you takes your choice.

When we are talking a 10% or more increase in efficiency over the lifetime of a gas fireplace, the Mendota is way less expensive than competition.

The savings that would come from having a 10 percent more efficient fireplace depend upon a lot of factors, starting with how much the fireplace is used. If it's an hour or two a day for 2-3 days a week, the benefits from higher efficiency may be very different than if the fireplace is going to be used more often. NG vs. propane also factors in, as does the need for heat in the room with the fireplace. That's why I posted the link to the Enerchoice site.

Status
Not open for further replies.