Glad that I was outside working with my wood and not taking a nap...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chvymn99

Minister of Fire
Nov 20, 2010
Kansas
So I decided to take the nice day and work on my wood. I need to get some skidded up and moved, while I had others that need to be be bucked and organized. Well about 2 o'clock, I was getting tired, thought about taking a nap. But I was making so much progress and it was such a beautiful day. Well that was when things started to change. The neighbor decided to go set his burn pile on fire, its dry here we are in a drought and decent winds. Well, I guess he just set it on fire and walked away. I was cutting some ash that I picked last week. When I noticed the smoke get stonger and closer. Mind you, I've got a 6 foot privacy fence, between me and him for a reason. But I've got at least 2 cords of 3 year old hedge and a cord of 2 year old old near the fence. Thats when I peeked over the fence to investigate. It was already about 5 foot away and moving rapidily. I tried to slow it down with my rake, but the wind kept flaring it and spreading it. I left it and went and pounded on his door got his attention. Then I went and got my water turn on (located in my basement) and hook my hose (left laying around, just drained). It just started to make penetration through my fence by the time I started spraying it down. Anyways it pentrated in about 5 spots, and just marked my fence. But set some leaves and debris on fire on myside.

Any ways had I not been outside when this went down (aint his first time of doing this, this is his third time, but his worse one yet). How does insurance work on this type of stuff? I mean at least 3 cords on or near my fence (it will be moved as soon as I can). I mean this would have gotten nasty, my trailer, garden tractor and other property, but if it would have went another 30 foot it could have taken out another 4 cords. I realize his insurance would have covered it, but how do you price out something like this? Its not like I paid for it, but it was my time, equipment, and supplies.

But things fortunatly worked out, I guess for the best today. But who know the next time when I'm not around.

Reactions: Blue2ndaries
Wow sounds like it could have been a real bad situation if you would have went inside! Likely for him you took care of business.

Reactions: ScotO and chvymn99
Good luck getting $ for fixing the mistakes of those kind of folks....:mad:. Cheers!

Next time he lights up I'd be calling the Fire Department (unless it's a calm day with a steady rain maybe...)
Say you're just someone driving by & saw smoke if you don't want the neighbor to know you called.
Never mind the wood stacks & garden trailer, imagine if you were away & came home to a smoldering pile of house!
I sometimes burn brush outside & yes it's illegal here, but I at least do it ONLY if winds are calm and after a good rain. I'm nearby keeping an eye out the whole time.

Glad it all worked out.
Dry grass & leaves & wind & fire & stacks of firewood all could've made for a real mess.

Good response time , saved the day ;)

I'm probably going to take pictures to documen itt, if anything in the future would happen. But I just keep replaying in my mind had I not been there and did what I did, what could have happened. Luckily, it got stop as it was just going through my fence. Had I stopped and called the fire department, that could have been the difference. But would it have been better to have called them, then to be a hero? Cause it could have wound up that I ended up being a zero and it got worse. It just gives me the creeps and kinda of pi$$ me off just thinking of it.

Reactions: ScotO
I'm probably going to take pictures to documen itt, if anything in the future would happen. But I just keep replaying in my mind had I not been there and did what I did, what could have happened. Luckily, it got stop as it was just going through my fence. Had I stopped and called the fire department, that could have been the difference. But would it have been better to have called them, then to be a hero? Cause it could have wound up that I ended up being a zero and it got worse. It just gives me the creeps and kinda of pi$$ me off just thinking of it.
Nah, you did the right thing. If it got outta hand I'm sure you'd have called then. I just think your neighbor could use a little talk from the FD thats all.

Wow! you were lucky! Like I've said before: "Good neighbors.......... gooood:) ! Bad neighbors...baaaaaaad:mad: !"

Wow! Building a fire on a windy day during a drought? I'm going to guess your neighbor is not Albert Einstein?

I would guess insurance would be okay since it's clearly your neighbors fault, but double-check if there are any questions. Best to know beforehand.

And is there a fire ban in your area? If so, maybe a chat with local officials is in order. Good thing you were around, and I'm glad the damage was minimal.

So I decided to take the nice day and work on my wood. I need to get some skidded up and moved, while I had others that need to be be bucked and organized. Well about 2 o'clock, I was getting tired, thought about taking a nap. But I was making so much progress and it was such a beautiful day. Well that was when things started to change. The neighbor decided to go set his burn pile on fire, its dry here we are in a drought and decent winds. Well, I guess he just set it on fire and walked away. I was cutting some ash that I picked last week. When I noticed the smoke get stonger and closer. Mind you, I've got a 6 foot privacy fence, between me and him for a reason. But I've got at least 2 cords of 3 year old hedge and a cord of 2 year old old near the fence. Thats when I peeked over the fence to investigate. It was already about 5 foot away and moving rapidily. I tried to slow it down with my rake, but the wind kept flaring it and spreading it. I left it and went and pounded on his door got his attention. Then I went and got my water turn on (located in my basement) and hook my hose (left laying around, just drained). It just started to make penetration through my fence by the time I started spraying it down. Anyways it pentrated in about 5 spots, and just marked my fence. But set some leaves and debris on fire on myside.

Any ways had I not been outside when this went down (aint his first time of doing this, this is his third time, but his worse one yet). How does insurance work on this type of stuff? I mean at least 3 cords on or near my fence (it will be moved as soon as I can). I mean this would have gotten nasty, my trailer, garden tractor and other property, but if it would have went another 30 foot it could have taken out another 4 cords. I realize his insurance would have covered it, but how do you price out something like this? Its not like I paid for it, but it was my time, equipment, and supplies.

But things fortunatly worked out, I guess for the best today. But who know the next time when I'm not around.
Sounds like you have a neighbor like ours, he cut white pine all winter (two winters ago) piled it all in his middle lot, he tried to burn it on the hottest day of the year last summer while we had a burn ban, smoked us out.

You can't fix stupid but you can turn the dumb bastards in! ::P

Nah, you did the right thing. If it got outta hand I'm sure you'd have called then. I just think your neighbor could use a little talk from the FD thats all.

+1
The sooner you can get the fire out, the better.
Putting out a small fire VS what it would have been in 10 minutes :eek:.
You did the right thing.

It's amazing how different "the rules" are depending on where you live in the country... Where I live, no permits are required between 15 November and early march... The FD does appreciate a heads up phone call however.... I probably acquire more burn permits a year than anyone else in town..... between the bamboo and the bittersweet.... there is always something that needs to be purified by fire....

Chvymn99, I am not sure what area in Kansas you are in but in Jefferson County (just north or Topeka) we are required to have a burn permit and, then whenever you burn brush you have to call it in and get permission to do the burn. I am a first responder, and have close ties with a number of FD Chiefs. I think when someone above wrote that he could use a visit from the FD they were on target. Send me a PM where you located if you like and I can let you know if I know a guy in you area.

Good fast action on your part!

What was the neighbors reaction to you after knocking on the door, and putting out his mess which could have potentially destroyed your property?

pen

Yes, we only have like 2 three weeks periods that we are allowed, once in the fall and once in the spring. You have a three day permit that is issued. But yesterday had the right conditions for a rapid grass fire: drought conditions, dry grass, and wind. But his burn pile has no boundary, no rock or cinder blocks. I know this is the 3rd time that he has had a grass fire, in the last 8 months. I could care less about his property, but that fence wasn't cheap and neither would be that wood to be replaced.

I've been around and around with this guy for the last 4 years. Thats why I built the fence, was because of him. He did tell me thank you after all was said and done, but his wife had that careless look on her face. But then again, she was the one that heard a noise outside, opened the front door, saw the lawn tractor on me (the ramps slide out from underneath of me), and then slammed the door shut. Go to love neighbors....

Pictures for sure! However, chances are he is a deadbeat. We had a case not far from us where neighbors started burning one spring. Trouble is, that spring was very dry. It ruined about 20 acres of his neighbor's woods. Another problem is those folks hardly have a pot to pee in or a window to throw it out. It was just a loss. Very sad.

Reactions: zap and chvymn99
I would get an estimate for what needs to be replaced or repaired and present him with the bill. If he refuses or you can't work it out, take him to small claims court. This guy sounds like a menace who has no regard for other peoples property. Hitting him in the pocketbook will make him think real hard about doing something careless and stupid again.

Around here, when conditions are dry like you described, there would be absolutely no burning allowed, no matter what time of year it is. You have to be nuts to even think about burning in bone dry conditions like that.

Reactions: chvymn99
The way it works is that your homeowners will generally pay you for replacement cost (i.e., whatever it costs to replace you x year old tractor with a tractor of like kind, not brand new mind you. Whatever it would cost to replace the firewood, but proving how much you had would be somewhat tough after it is all burned up into ash. After your insurance company pays your claim, it has the right of subrogation to go after the neighbor for his negligence.

Luckily, my neighbors have pretty much been great since we moved here 2 years ago. Had a single instance where one sent my dog to the pound. It is a really long story, but now we are friends. Told one of my best friends/clients the story last week when he stopped by for a visit and he said "You are almost always better off on Fabs' good side than bad side. So much more to gain versus what can be lost fighting." Took animal control to court on that one and ended up winning.

The good thing about neighbors is that you can eventually move. Told my wife that I would be fine on 200+ acres where it requires a vehicle or a really long walk to see/hear your neighbor.

Reactions: chvymn99
The way it works is that your homeowners will generally pay you for replacement cost (i.e., whatever it costs to replace you x year old tractor with a tractor of like kind, not brand new mind you. Whatever it would cost to replace the firewood, but proving how much you had would be somewhat tough after it is all burned up into ash. After your insurance company pays your claim, it has the right of subrogation to go after the neighbor for his negligence..

So my insurance would get dinged first? I just figured that my insurance would go to there insurance, but thats why I asked. I know it would be a bloody nightmare on getting things corrected or replaced.

I would get an estimate for what needs to be replaced or repaired and present him with the bill. If he refuses or you can't work it out, take him to small claims court. This guy sounds like a menace who has no regard for other peoples property. Hitting him in the pocketbook will make him think real hard about doing something careless and stupid again.

Around here, when conditions are dry like you described, there would be absolutely no burning allowed, no matter what time of year it is. You have to be nuts to even think about burning in bone dry conditions like that.

Luckily the only damage was some charred/discolored boards and some burnt grass. Had it been another 5 minutes or more it very likely could have started on the my stacked wood.

Pictures for sure! However, chances are he is a deadbeat. We had a case not far from us where neighbors started burning one spring. Trouble is, that spring was very dry. It ruined about 20 acres of his neighbor's woods. Another problem is those folks hardly have a pot to pee in or a window to throw it out. It was just a loss. Very sad.

Deadbeat - Drunk same thing. He's the reason the fence went up, its been a very rocky road the last 4 years. In the last 8 months, since they basically had left the house to there son, things where going good. Then they came back.:(

Hell, I think you prevented a murder. If he burned my woodpile I would have killed him!

I mean it would have hurt and hurt bad, but through all that he's done to me (and thats ALOT!!!!) its never crossed my mind. Now, I would have done everything that I could in court against him.

Yikes I'm glad no one was hurt.

For insurance I'd insist on having it replaced with real cords of kiln dried wood - so it still fits in with your planned burning schedule. His insurance co will probably drop him after...so do move your wood!

Status
Not open for further replies.