Glad The Wood Is Covered

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BrotherBart

Modesterator
Staff member
Hearth Supporter
I am sure glad the three year old stacks for this season are covered. It started raining eleven or twelve hours ago and hasn't let up since. And isn't forecast to until after sunup in the morning. Then it is just "possibility of showers" all day tomorrow.

The stuff would have gotten soaked right here on the front end of burning time.

Ja , my wood has been covered and baking under a trojan since May ( 3 in the shed and 4 under rubber). My beech will be 3 years dry in Jan. Its lookin good for an OCT 15 green light on burning.

Eh BB, the guy in your avatar looks like he's losing weight.

Attachments

• LogOn.jpg
    LogOn.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 696
I hear you - I just threw a tarp over my supply for this winter and we are forecast to get almost an inch of rain in the next day or so. I know it is supposed to all dry pretty quick after a rain, but I have a lot of wood in there with punk on it so I'd rather it not have a chance to soak up anything - especially as it is really nice and dry at the moment.

I covered this year's wood on Friday with sheets of metal roofing. I'm ready to do my first burn of the year, but it's
just not cold enough. I was out to the firepit tonight, but the neighbor started playing 70's organ music
with the windows open and drove me back inside. Sunshine not on my shoulders.

LLigetfa said:

If you are seeing that one it must still be in your browser cache. I changed my avitar this morning.

BrotherBart said:
If you are seeing that one it must still be in your browser cache. I changed my avitar this morning.

ctrl/F5 and I'm seeing your new one, can you heat the whole house with that!? :)

BrotherBart said:
LLigetfa said:

Ah So. My browser got the new pixel dimensions of the homeless barrel but squeezed the old avatar I had cached.

Was gonna put the tarps on today but of course didn't, drove home from work tonight in the rain
and looking at rain all day tomorrow :sick:
man i'm such an ass

I am with you Birdman. It started raining late last night and didn't stop at all today. If I had been more on the ball and seen the extended forecast I would have covered the wood on Thursday.

joshlaugh said:
I am with you Birdman. It started raining late last night and didn't stop at all today. If I had been more on the ball and seen the extended forecast I would have covered the wood on Thursday.

yea guess I'll try again when it dries up some
guess thats what we get for procrast procst proscati (bein lazy lol)

The burning barrel is classy :lol:

BrotherBart said:
I am sure glad the three year old stacks for this season are covered. It started raining eleven or twelve hours ago and hasn't let up since. And isn't forecast to until after sunup in the morning. Then it is just "possibility of showers" all day tomorrow.

Good thing you were thinking ahead!

All summer here was wet and cool, then September comes along and it's warm and dry. We didn't have 1/4 inch of rain all month so far. 25 miles south got record 24 hour rainfall the other day, but not here. I guess it doesn't matter, the growing season is done anyway.

The first few cords I'm gonna burn are already covered, the last few aren't yet. Doh!

quads said:

Way ahead. Those stacks have been top covered since April of 2007. :lol:

The stuff I cut last winter is still uncovered and doing quite well.

Backwoods Savage said:

And will be covered next month right? And for the next six years?

BrotherBart said:
quads said:

Way ahead. Those stacks have been top covered since April of 2007. :lol:
I'd say! You're ahead of more than just one rainstorm for covering your firewood.

rdust said:
BrotherBart said:

ctrl/F5 and I'm seeing your new one, can you heat the whole house with that!? :)

Sure it will! Fact is it will probably drive him out of the house it will get so hot.

I threw some oak and walnut that was stacked onto my walk out basement pad loosely. It had rained close to 5 inches since then and I just moved it around to where the sun could dry it out. It was most defiantly more wet than when it was stacked uncovered. So much for moving the wood too soon.

Shipper

I top covered three cords of mine a little over a week ago. The leaves and acorns are falling and we had a few good rains here in the last week. I am leaving it covered now. With the wet year we had I think my wood dried less than normal. I do not want to lose any ground now.

BrotherBart said:
Backwoods Savage said:

And will be covered next month right? And for the next six years?

Sorry BrotherBart. I really don't mean to rub it in. lol

BrotherBart said:
LLigetfa said:

Yeah, and now I am mad at you again. Why can't you just leave well enough alone!

quads said:
BrotherBart said:

All summer here was wet and cool, then September comes along and it's warm and dry. We didn't have 1/4 inch of rain all month so far. 25 miles south got record 24 hour rainfall the other day, but not here. I guess it doesn't matter, the growing season is done anyway.

Assuming your in the Adams - Friendship area, I'm south and east of where you are by 75 miles. Not a drop in 21 days and then just a sprinkle on day 22. Tonight though it's pourin' and just two minutes ago hail. Glad the kids helped me stack 4 full cords under the roof of our new wood shed this afternoon. 30 minutes later it started.

Der Fiur Meister said:
quads said:

Assuming your in the Adams - Friendship area, I'm south and east of where you are by 75 miles. Not a drop in 21 days and then just a sprinkle on day 22. Tonight though it's pourin' and just two minutes ago hail. Glad the kids helped me stack 4 full cords under the roof of our new wood shed this afternoon. 30 minutes later it started.
We got 1/4 inch last night. It's all done now, except for the strong winds and much cooler. Stove is chugging away! No hail, but heard on the police scanner last evening in downtown Adams-Friendship and points east were several trees blown over, one on power lines and caught fire.

Status
Not open for further replies.