Glass cleaning

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I used Rutland glass cleaner. This year I'm stealing glass cooktop cleaning paste from my wife. Works great on a stove glass.

Hello all

If there is any one out there like me that is very anal about their stoves appearance then I thought I would share this with you.

I do not like it when the glass on my stove door is black (or starting to get black). I use my stove for heat but also as a focal point in the room. I have been trying to keep my glass clean and whenever I seem to get it clean, by the next fire it seems to be getting black again. I have tried many different thing and have stumbled on something great .

First I use "imperial clear flame glass door cleaner" and then I use "lysol all purpose cleaner" which is a great glass cleaner. After it dries (about 3 minutes or so) I light back up again. I can burn about 5 fires before I even start to see any black soot starting to build up.

Any one else have any other ideas about how they keep their glass clean?

I don't have any tips or ideas, other than burning only seasoned wood and being sure about the cutting the air too much.. My Buck 91 does get more mucked up when I cut the air down too far. It used to really bunch up my Fruit of the Looms when it happened. After the first year we used it, the local shop that we bought it from came out to sweep the chimney and service the stove. As soon as he saw it, with the smudged glass he said, "Looks like you've figured out how to run it." Both lower corners had a build up in them. He told me that's normal. Talking about it further, and thinking about what's going on in there, it made perfect sense. The airwash on the 91 is almost closed when the CAT is "on". That leaves little air to keep the smoke away from the glass. That being said, I don't worry about it anymore. Our stove is a focal point in our living room as well. We just live with it. Here's a cut and paste about what the manual says about dirty glass, this pretty much puts my mind at ease, and lowers the bar for my anal tendencies. This is how I do it, your mileage may vary.

"Cleaning Glass.
The glass inside will become
colored during use from creosote
buildup. The best way to clean
glass, COLD STOVE, is to let
creosote buildup harden. Then
use razor blade to scarp of
buildup of creosote. Wash glass
using soapy water or glass
cleaner."

PlotPics010.jpg

On a warm or cool Glass, I use three paper towels w/ Ammonia...1st towel, ruff clean...next towel, complete clean...last towel, final clean...burning hot seems to clean the glass as well...my IR Thermo reads 600-700 on the Glass...clean as a whistle

Hello, most of the times I use damp paper for cleaning. But from many days I have not cleaned that stove because it was not in use and now it is difficult to clean it. I heard about the professional movers NYC from my friend who provides moving and cleaning services. Is it a good option to hire professional cleaners?

Hello, most of the times I use damp paper for cleaning. But from many days I have not cleaned that stove because it was not in use and now it is difficult to clean it. I heard about the professional movers NYC from my friend who provides moving and cleaning services. Is it a good option to hire professional cleaners?
No, it's not a good option . It's like hiring professional to take your garbage out. I had my glass matte black after having couple loads of wet wood. Just use Rutland stove glass cleaner or Paint scraper tool. It's not that bad

Windex and a few paper towels for me. Never really gets black though.

I'm amazed at the crude shape the glass wash deflector is on every stove I've seen. The deflector is invariably a thick piece of plate steel with a square edge. A shape that took aerodynamics into consideration might be shaped more like a wing that would work better at low air flows when the stove is well damped. The crude shapes on even modern stoves are inefficient at placing the intake air where it offers the most benefit. The turbulence created as the air leaves the deflector plate consumes some of the downward momentum of the cooler intake air and encourages it to mix with the other air already loaded with burning by products before it reaches the bottom of the window.

Cat stove here and maybe a greater tolerance for dirty glass. We got the stove last Christmas and burn recreationally, but want to retain the heat when we do burn.

I let the glass stay dirty till today, with a bit of blackness, and more than half of the window covered with a gray haze. I thought I wasn't burning hot enough and eventually it would burn off. It helped to read that cat stoves can be different that way.

After cleaning, I immediately noticed that there's more warmth in front of the hearth. That reminds me of my sense in the first week or two that the stove really kept the living room warm, and later did not. Since we'd been baking pies and cooking Christmas dinner that first week, I thought it was the combo of fireplace and oven that kept it so warm. Now I'm wondering whether we lose a fair amount of heat if sooty glass is catching what should be radiating. What do you guys think? Is that a real issue?

I'll certainly be keeping it clean from here on. It took 30 seconds.

Also, for what it's worth., not only did I use damp newspaper on the stove. I've always used damp newspaper on all windows and mirrors. Tip from my rural Michigan grandmother. Cleans as well as or better than Windex or anything like that. Never bought a glass cleaner in my life.