glass gasket for Honey Bear

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 10, 2012
Ontario, Canada
The glass retaining clips on my Honey Bear are designed to hold ~9/16" of thickness, the glass being 3/16" thick, which leaves 3/8" for gasket. The manual recommends 1/4" gasket tape, which when compressed would make sense.

Unfortunately I can only find 1/4" tape on ebay for $53! (to Canada)

I tested a piece of 3/16" tape on the glass and under a clip it felt loose in there...I can't imagine it would be airtight at all.

Can I use 1/8 - 3/16" tape and stuff some extra gasket under the retainers to snug things up a bit?

Thanks for your help,
Richard

Attachments

• honey_bear.03.JPG
    honey_bear.03.JPG
    135.3 KB · Views: 255
I wrap the glass edge, the adhesive only has to stick until it's in place. If too thin, a bead of Rutland Stove and Gasket cement on the retainer makes the plate as thick as you need it. Cure it with heat, and it's like a build up of cement on the retainer to take up space. It doesn't compress when dry.

After experimenting with silicone on the retainers as a gap filler I tried some leftover gasket material cemented to the retainer. It was the perfect thickness, and although it was a little thick, it held the glass well.
-Thanks for your help coaly-

Attachments

• honey_bear_door.jpg
    honey_bear_door.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 189
Status
Not open for further replies.