Glass Hearth Plate Experiences?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
First post and I'm reviving this thread because we just purchased a Morso 2110 and really liked the look of the glass pad but the dealer refused to sell it to us because he said it wasn't compatible with this stove and shouldn't be used. He showed me the Morso book that did indicate this. It seems others here have done it. Is it really a problem? Thanks for any input.

First post and I'm reviving this thread because we just purchased a Morso 2110 and really liked the look of the glass pad but the dealer refused to sell it to us because he said it wasn't compatible with this stove and shouldn't be used. He showed me the Morso book that did indicate this. It seems others here have done it. Is it really a problem? Thanks for any input.

Not sure about that stove. You just have to understand your clearances. My stove, the Jotul F55, requires ember protection only. That being the case I used the plate I bought and added a rectangular glass plate butted to the back to give me the clearances I needed.

People buy stoves and build their own hearths all the time.

Btw, Welcome to the forum!

Unless I've done something terribly wrong, I don't understand the floor clearances (ember protection) specified by the Morso 2110 manual and my supposedly "WETT-certified" installer also completely messed up, then I don't understand your dealer's issue. The manual specifies the distances (6" either side and I believe 16" in front) required for the surface protection. Maybe a specific glass hearth plate that the dealer has in stock isn't compliant with this - when I was shopping for mine, my installer showed me several options offered by Morso. They have various dimensions and so there should be something available with the specifications that work with the 2110. Maybe you can clarify with the dealer what requirement wouldn't be met with the glass pad. If Morso doesn't make one that works, you could consider having one custom made by a glass company.

Good luck.

Unless I've done something terribly wrong, I don't understand the floor clearances (ember protection) specified by the Morso 2110 manual and my supposedly "WETT-certified" installer also completely messed up, then I don't understand your dealer's issue. The manual specifies the distances (6" either side and I believe 16" in front) required for the surface protection. Maybe a specific glass hearth plate that the dealer has in stock isn't compliant with this - when I was shopping for mine, my installer showed me several options offered by Morso. They have various dimensions and so there should be something available with the specifications that work with the 2110. Maybe you can clarify with the dealer what requirement wouldn't be met with the glass pad. If Morso doesn't make one that works, you could consider having one custom made by a glass company.

Good luck.

Thanks for your prompt reply. I believe it had to do with the R-value? I don't believe clearances would be the issue at all. The dealer showed us the Morso book of specs/pricelist, and both the 2110 and 3640 were the 2 stoves according to this literature that were listed as not compatible with any of the Morso glass pads. I'm going to check with another dealer though for a second opinion and to see if they say the same thing or if they have different information. I have a bunch of spare 1" blue stone that I could easily make a hearth with. But we really like and prefer the simple aesthetic of the glass pad. According to the installation manual for the 2110, the only requirements for the hearth pad are an R value of 1.0 and the proper clearances of 6" to each side and 16" in front. So I don't know????

I should add that if you look through the standard Morso catalog, you'll note that the 2B, 2110, 3610 and 7900 series are the only free-standing stoves that don't include an appropriate glass pad in their specification listings.

I should add that if you look through the standard Morso catalog, you'll note that the 2B, 2110, 3610 and 7900 series are the only free-standing stoves that don't include an appropriate glass pad in their specification listings.

We're starting to get slightly off topic. I suggest you post your goals & question in a new post. The experts on this site will notice and respond with their knowledge. They can definitely advise you on your options. Sometimes the folks here are more knowledgeable and helpful than staff manning the sales floors in some retailers.

Status
Not open for further replies.