Glowing ceiling in fireplace insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

johnblacksox

Dec 5, 2020
Massachusetts
I have a Lopi fireplace insert, and I've been using it for 3 years. Last night, I had been burning it longer and evidently hotter than before. I looked inside the stove and could see the inside ceiling of it was glowing orange a bit in the middle. I will attach a picture. There's a lot of reflection from the glass, but you can see the general idea. The damper was closed, so it was using the catalytic converter at the time.

Once I noticed it, I choked the air intake quite a bit, which knocked the flames down. Before that, it was almost wide open air intake.

Obviously, I'll try to avoid doing this in the future. I checked it this morning after everything had cooled off, and everything looks fine to the naked eye. So my question is, how dangerous is that situation?

Thanks in advance...

Forgot the picture...

thumbnail_IMG_2216.jpg