Gnats and vanilla

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lukem

Minister of Fire
Jan 12, 2010
Indiana
FYI...a few drops of pure vanilla works wonders at keeping the gnats at bay. Makes you smell like a teenage girl but works better than deet.

Reactions: ScotO
My favorite bug dope was Ol' Maine Woodsman . . . smelled like pine pitch, turpentine and moose pee . . . but it worked . . . probably contained at least three chemicals known to render a man sterile . . . but if I saw some in the local store I would still buy a bottle.

I had totally forgotten about that trick. Maybe have to give it a try again, but usually the thermacell works wonders.

Cattle rancher who mowed my yard out in the Shenandoah Valley in VA taught me that the best he'd ever used was Avon Skin-So-Soft. I got some and wow! No bugs. I understand that they are attracted to the CO2 we exhale, so maybe if you just hold your breath while you're outside you'll be OK. :rolleyes:

Cattle rancher who mowed my yard out in the Shenandoah Valley in VA taught me that the best he'd ever used was Avon Skin-So-Soft. I got some and wow! No bugs. I understand that they are attracted to the CO2 we exhale, so maybe if you just hold your breath while you're outside you'll be OK. :rolleyes:

We too have heard of this many times and it is supposed to be excellent for skeeters too. We have a neighbor who really swears by it. Well, one day both wife and I decided to give it a try. We stunk....and the skeeters seemed to be drawn to us! I know not why but I've heard of many folks saying the Avon stuff is magic but maybe we eat the wrong things or something. :mad:

Tried holding our breath once too but it didn't last very long. ;lol

FYI...a few drops of pure vanilla works wonders at keeping the gnats at bay. Makes you smell like a teenage girl but works better than deet.
You talkin' about the buffalo gnats (black flies?) I haven't determined yet if they are just buzzing around my head, or actually biting me...

Status
Not open for further replies.