Going back to wood!!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pt0872

Hearth Supporter
Oct 8, 2006
Carver, Mass
Hello all....

Bought my Whitfield Prodigy last year.....we love it.

Fill the hopper before bed and never worry about it...plus less mess from the wood in the house.

this year we're having a problem finding pellets, plus at $7.50 a bag/$600 a ton I'm thinking about going back to cord wood.

Anyone else feel this way?

The $7.50 a bag sounds close to what I have seen out there, but not $600 a ton. The shortage seems to be regional also. I have been able to get pellets in my area.

$7.50 bag = $375/ton. Either way outrageous. Buying offseason is the only way to go.

Here in south Central MA you can EASILY find pellets (Walmart, Home Depot, Lowes, etc) for $6/bag or $300/ton. Nobody is charging more than that. Who in the Carver area is charging those outrageous prices? Do you have a Walmart, HD or Lowes around you?

Thats what made me decide with a wood stove, just like any commodity people are greedy and when oil goes up so will gas,pellets etc. at least with the wood you can scrounge free stuff! I have to admit that the pellets are much easier to use though..

I really hate to do this ;-) but I can still buy then at $4.19 a bag, $203 per ton with a 15% Senior's discount, that's $172 per ton. They are a local product that is as good as the Eurekas and Lignetics I used last year. There is a local maker now, and I might be able to get down to $150. ton in bulk.

Sorry guys, I had to say it's all in location, location, location.

Sorry about that.....hit the wrong button...

We paid $300 for a ton this year. but still, finding them is a problem.

pt0872 said:
Hello all....

Fill the hopper before bed and never worry about it...plus less mess from the wood in the house.

this year we're having a problem finding pellets, plus at $7.50 a bag/$600 a ton I'm thinking about going back to cord wood.

According to Pelletsales.com (Goffstown NH), they will deliver pellets to your town for $299 a ton within 3-7 days and free delivery.

I used to cut, haul and split my own wood then quit and heated with fuel oil for one season before buying a pellet stove in 2007. I bought pellets early summer at less than $200.00 per ton less than $4.00 a bag. Even with this, I am not saving much considering the current price of fuel oil.
My pellet stove heats the area of the house where I spend my time but the basement really cools off. I notice more dust accumulation in the living area with the pellet stove compared to the wood furnace.
The wood/coal add on furnace leaves the dirt, bark, and wood chips and ash in a non-living area. I have wood for back-up and considered cutting my own again but not too seriously. Does anyone know where I can get free “expired fire wood” split, delivered to my house and stacked?

I think about going back to cord wood every now and then but it`s not ever gonna happen. I recall all the work, mess, smoke, bugs, rodents , safety issues, etc and every other negative thing associated with burning wood.
Nah! Just isn`t worth all the crap.

I can still get pellets at Home Depot 250. a Ton. Safeways in Pollock Pines has Firemaster for 7.99 per bag, I think that's a rip-off... HD's is just 10 miles down the road... I still think pellets are cheaper if you add your time , you spend cutting, spilting, stacking, etc...

I am actually thinking about a wood stove for next year but I will keep my Englander as well.

The Englander is in the living room with a cathedral ceiling and I was thinking about a small used wood stove for the family room on the other end of the house.

As for cord wood I can harvest a cord a year out back easy.

My real expence would be the chimney since I do not have one.

Doocrew said:
pt0872 said:
Hello all....

According to Pelletsales.com (Goffstown NH), they will deliver pellets to your town for $299 a ton within 3-7 days and free delivery.

What name brand of pellets are they offering?

pt0872 said:
Hello all....

Call these guys I got two tons in september they said no problems all season.
Eastern Ice Co
27 Lawrence St
Brockton, MA 02301
(508) 588-0611

THe pellets are called H.E.A.T. LLC burns great. Cost $300 ton from MO.

Eastern Ice is a good bet as well as Pelletsales.com,
and South shore Wood Pellet in Holbrook, MA 781-986-7797.

South of Boston said:
Doocrew said:
pt0872 said:
Hello all....

What name brand of pellets are they offering?

Looks like they only have Michigan Wood Products and Westwood Premium right now. Also, they are $289 a ton with free delivery right now.

Sorry guys, but $300 (or even $289) delivered is still a rip-off IMO. In fact, I refuse to suport these price levels (it's good to have many options!) If I can't buy pellets this spring for under ~$235, I'm not going to bother wasting my money on them. I like my Harman pellet stove a lot, and I love the convenience of burning pellets, but I'm not going to pay these ridiculous prices when oil and NG are as cheap or cheaper, yet effortless in comparison. I'm doing the majority of my heating with pellets this winter, but if pellet prices aren't lower in the spring, I'll be burning mostly wood next winter.

you can definitely get them less than 600 a ton. you could even make a trip to NH and load up from Pelham Building supply (45 mins from Boston) and they are 300 per ton for New England Wood Pellets (premium) and those are the best money can buy from what people say. What god forsaken place is selling @ 600 a ton because I want to call and scream at the gougers and make sure i NEVER do any kind of business with them.

eyeaml337 said:
you can definitely get them less than 600 a ton. you could even make a trip to NH and load up from Pelham Building supply (45 mins from Boston) and they are 300 per ton for New England Wood Pellets (premium) and those are the best money can buy from what people say. What god forsaken place is selling @ 600 a ton because I want to call and scream at the gougers and make sure i NEVER do any kind of business with them.

new england wood pellets really this guy doesn't think so ,,,,, When I was burning Hamers Hot Ones, I scraped once a day. Trying some of the two tons of New England Wood Pellets Tan Bag Red Lettering that I have, and they burn like sh@#! Can’t wait to burn them off. They give good heat and acceptable ash, but lots of clinkers and ash in the burn pot. Darn near snuffed out a fire the day after I started to use them.
Yeah, I may drill it myself. Might be easier, but the stove shop is less than five minutes away and if they have what I need right there on the shelf, it would be quicker than me getting the project set up.

Signature
Harman P-68
1 dwindling ton of Coveted Hamer’s Hot One’s
2 ton’s of so far inferior New England Wood Pellets (Tan bag Red Lettering)
2004 1/2 ton Silverado that didn’t really care for the 1 Ton Pellet trips
American Eskimo dog that doesn’t think all that extra heat is as cool as the rest of family

suprised the NEWP aren't working out for you. I have burned 4 tons so far in my Empress with no problems. When i ran out last winter i got a few bags from walmart and a couple from home depot (don't remember the brand) they were junk i was cleaning the stove daily instead of every 3-4 days.

you will go back to wood burning when you find out what it cost to fix the pellet stove.the price of a good pellet stove and the high cost of pellets are not worth it.

johnnywarm said:
you will go back to wood burning when you find out what it cost to fix the pellet stove.the price of a good pellet stove and the high cost of pellets are not worth it.

There is always a tipping point ! The cost of pellet stoves and pellets are already there and at this point in time it`s just not worth it for many of us.
But wait! The price of crude is on the rise again.

Gio said:
johnnywarm said:

There is always a tipping point ! The cost of pellet stoves and pellets are already there and at this point in time it`s just not worth it for many of us.
But wait! The price of crude is on the rise again.

pellets will follow.wood is cheaper but more work.

new england wood pellets really this guy doesn't think so ,,,,, When I was burning Hamers Hot Ones, I scraped once a day. Trying some of the two tons of New England Wood Pellets Tan Bag Red Lettering that I have, and they burn like sh@#! Can’t wait to burn them off. They give good heat and acceptable ash, but lots of clinkers and ash in the burn pot. Darn near snuffed out a fire the day after I started to use them.
Yeah, I may drill it myself. Might be easier, but the stove shop is less than five minutes away and if they have what I need right there on the shelf, it would be quicker than me getting the project set up.

Signature
Harman P-68
1 dwindling ton of Coveted Hamer’s Hot One’s
2 ton’s of so far inferior New England Wood Pellets (Tan bag Red Lettering)
2004 1/2 ton Silverado that didn’t really care for the 1 Ton Pellet trips
American Eskimo dog that doesn’t think all that extra heat is as cool as the rest of family[/quote]

I also have had good success with my NEWP, in my enviro empress FS.

Status
Not open for further replies.