Going from insert to reg fireplace and liner ... questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Farva0311

Jul 8, 2009
Southern Indiana
I currently have a fireplace insert. I am also in the process of installing a new rigid stainless steel liner. Because of a nightmare of connecting the new liner to the insert (see my other thread) and possibly having to cut/ break out the rectangular damper, I'm considering gettting rid of the insert and converting to a regular fireplace. That leads me to my new questions. If I have a regular fireplace, would all I need to do is buy a new damper for the rectangular opening? Would I need to do anything with the bottom end of the liner? My current game plan is to seal the top.

I'll be happy to answer any questions if I'm not explaining things clearly enough. Thanks for any help!

Another option instead of breaking out the damper is to ovalize the 6" liner to where it fits down through that damper opening. If the current damper is in bad shape or warped and most old ones are you can install a chimney top damper, they have a wire attached to a spring loaded closing mechanism and they seal up way better to keep those cold drafts and weather out.

Changing back to an open fireplace will be a nothing but a major heat loss.

Hogwildz said:
Changing back to an open fireplace will be a nothing but a major heat loss.

Yes, but only if it drafts correctly, which it may not...
Measure the fireplace opening - HxW=Area..
The cross-sectional area of the chimney should not be less than 15% of the fireplace opening...
With a liner in there - REDUCING the c-s area of the chimney,
the fireplace may just fill the house with smoke...
Figure out how to make the connection to the insert...
You won't be sorry...

I got a piece of flex today and I think I now have everything to make the connection. I have to work all weekend so it will be Monday before I can tear into things. I think right now the biggest problem will be making a hole in the old damper to get the flex through. A buddy has a "sawzall" that I think will do the trick. Thanks again! If I run into any problems, I'll be sure to get on here!

What did you decide to do, insert reline or fireplace? Also, you stated your old clay tiles were cracked, did you know that requires insulating the liners for a safe up to code install?

Status
Not open for further replies.