Going through brick, block and stone wall

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wkpride

Feb 1, 2015
Wv
My wall thimble accommodates wall thickness of 6-11". My block & brick wall are 12" combined. I'm also putting a stone veneer on interior block, which increases total thickness to 16".
I'm using 6" stainless triple wall pipe... I believe I'll need to run the stainless pipe through the entire wall - but I don't find any 16" stainless sections. 12" or 24" only.
It looks like my only option is to attach the interior thimble to the interior block wall and the stone veneer will be laid around it, rather than under it. Unless I'm missing something... Appreciate comments/suggestions. Kp

So for the entire wall there are no combustibles at all within 12" of the pipe coming through the wall? If so, it sounds like the thimble will be more of an indoor trim kit and outdoor flashing.

Reactions: Osagebndr
So for the entire wall there are no combustibles at all within 12" of the pipe coming through the wall? If so, it sounds like the thimble will be more of an indoor trim kit and outdoor flashing.

Yes. 16" stone/block/brick entire wall. No combustibles within 12".
It was my understanding that triple wall had to go thru exterior wall. I'm not sure if the reason is to keep proper heating of gases? Is running triple required?

It should be class A pipe, but whether it is triple or double wall class A just depends on the manufacturer. Personally I would go with double-wall class A.

Yes you need to run class a the whole way through the wall i have seen 18" sections but i would get a 24" you will want it to extend out both sides a little anyway

Status
Not open for further replies.