Going to look at a Hearthstone Mansfield for my log home

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mark cline

Minister of Fire
Dec 20, 2012
Cattaraugus, NY
I found a 7 year old Hearthstone Mansfield for sale on Craigslist., about 2 hrs from home . The owner says it has never been over fired. To be sure , what should I look for? Outside of the obvious like warping or cracks, is there a life span on the secondary tubes ? He's asking $2000 or best offer, I'd offer $1500 because I would want to replace the secondaries if needed,
http://chautauqua.craigslist.org/for/4243033904.html

Need to figure it a hundred plus shipping for a ceramic baffle for it. The tubes will probably last forever if they aren't whacked with splits too much.

I hear some people say the stove is burned out. What exactly are they referring too ? The secondaries ,baffle , ash grate burned out, warped, cracks ?

I hear some people say the stove is burned out. What exactly are they referring too ? The secondaries ,baffle , ash grate burned out, warped, cracks ?

Yes, check for all the above. Look for split or warped secondary tubes and baffle, cracked or burnt out ash grate, warped door, bad gaskets, serious stone cracks.

I saw that stove on CL, How did it look?
I didn't look at it , I decided to buy a new stove from a shop in Toledo that was also listed on CL. A new stove for $700 more than the used one. He said the stove was 7 years old and was not used alot as it was in his sun room .

Status
Not open for further replies.