Good dog, bad dog!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

GrumpyDad

Minister of Fire
Feb 23, 2022
Champion, PA
Im curious what dogs people have in their family?

When I was a kid, I grew up in an apartment. My parents took great care of me, and even spoiled me with the latest tech and help kick start my then racing career. But I always wanted to live in a house with a dog.

I currently have a Rhodesian Ridgeback 'with champion bloodlines' blah blah. Spent $2k getting her. I originally got this dog over maybe a pointer, for the fear factor and to potentially protect my family/kids while I was traveling for biz. Of course as soon as I got the dog, I also found another job whereas I dont travel.

She's a good dog, but has a very strong prey instinct and is very reactive. If she sees another animal outside she barks, jumps against the window, then runs around the dining room table in circles crying.

One time my wife was taking her for a walk, the last time ever, the wife opened the door and the dog saw a CAT.....so the dog tore after the cat and pulled my wife's hand into the handle of the door breaking it and severing several tendons and ligaments. Of course this was during the "you'll die if you go out in public" phase of the pandemic, so it took awhile to be seen by a doctor and have that repaired by a surgeon. And it's no where near what it was before.

We tried training her, and we were kindly told that she was not very trainable once their is a prey stimulus. There's something just a little off with her.

She also has had pee problems after getting fixed. It comes and goes but the last time, we had to have her in diapers and give her this medicine that makes her quite sick for awhile.

We considered getting a Visla, which looks very similar to a RR, however a friend of mine told me they nickname those dogs velcro dogs because they never leave your side and if you leave they become super depressed and destructive, so I didnt want that. Of course, turns out my RR is a velcro dog, but she is pretty chill about being left at home alone (as long as you dont leave anything on the counter). She will just sit by the window 'guarding' the house and waiting for you to come home.

As far as a guard dog, who knows how she would react with a human threat. She barks aggressively at people until she is told everything is ok, and the people act friendly toward her. When a smaller dog comes running at her while on a walk, my dog will run in circles around me trying to get away from that dog...with a look of terror in her eyes. I am somewhat certain that the dog would protect against humans but she seems oddly terrified of small dogs.

Aside from a RR, I've also owned a yellow lab. That was a great dog, that I could actually take on walks with me off leash. I took her fishing multiple times as well. She knew her property well and when the electric guy didnt announce himself, she grabbed onto the heel of his boot and wouldnt let him go lol. One time, we were out walking off leash in a park when a lady stopped me to tell me that was forbidden. I actually didnt know, I was just a younger guy out for a walk. My lab came back right then and there with a rabbit in her mouth. She literally chew the head off and swallowed it, then grabbed the body and swallowed it. I was in shock. The lady just about had a heart attack right there!

Id really like to get a companion for my RR, and was considering another dog. Dogs are like perpetual 5 year old kids, and sometimes a hand full to deal with but they are such a great addition to the family. When we went on vacation, without the dog, our family felt not as whole if that makes sense.

So Im curious what type of dog you all have, and what you think the best breed is for an all around family dog?

I grew up with labs. Dont think color matters but was a black lab as a kid and then a yellow. Currently have a St Bernard. In my opinion, bigger dogs are more mellow. Labs were smart dogs, good with kids. Bernard, not so smart but good with our kids. She is a little standoff-ish with toddlers, but maybe because she wasnt exposed to them as a pup.

I grew up with labs. Dont think color matters but was a black lab as a kid and then a yellow. Currently have a St Bernard. In my opinion, bigger dogs are more mellow. Labs were smart dogs, good with kids. Bernard, not so smart but good with our kids. She is a little standoff-ish with toddlers, but maybe because she wasnt exposed to them as a pup.
My friend had a hyper great dane. Very hyper. It loved to run circles around his yard until it was too tired to do so, then it would get up and do it again with a toy in it's mouth. Sweet dog, but man that bark when you arent looking will have you jump out of your shoes.

Reactions: Gearhead660
It's been my experience that pure-bred dogs are generally more difficult to manage that mixes/muts. Designer pure-bred even more so. Genetically they are more inbred which leads to more mental complications in all animals. Each dog has it's own personality, too. It was somewhat predisposed at birth, and also shaped by environment.

I've mainly had muts (mostly lab based as is common for the area). Had a german shepard that lived the last 3 years barely able to walk despite hip surgeries. Have friends with an Alaskan malinois that has wore himself out despite only being 5 years old. Currently recovering from also hip surgrery. Another one has a pug which can't breath and IMHO should not be allowed to be bred. The genetic diversity brought on by semi-natural breeding seems to mitigate the mental and physical shortcomings brought on by unnatural selectrion.

Reactions: woodey
It's been my experience that pure-bred dogs are generally more difficult to manage that mixes/muts. Designer pure-bred even more so. Genetically they are more inbred which leads to more mental complications in all animals. Each dog has it's own personality, too. It was somewhat predisposed at birth, and also shaped by environment.

I've mainly had muts (mostly lab based as is common for the area). Had a german shepard that lived the last 3 years barely able to walk despite hip surgeries. Have friends with an Alaskan malinois that has wore himself out despite only being 5 years old. Currently recovering from also hip surgrery. Another one has a pug which can't breath and IMHO should not be allowed to be bred. The genetic diversity brought on by semi-natural breeding seems to mitigate the mental and physical shortcomings brought on by unnatural selectrion.
yea amen to that! Some of the kindest, smartest, most appreciated, GOOD dogs are mutts! I really want to go find a rescue dog, but I would come home with 12 dogs and 11 cats visiting a shelter. My wife and I have also been burned by getting shelter animals in the past, with high medical bills and problems with the animals themselves personality wise. I also wanted something very specific at the time, a dog that would be good with my kids and tolerate their hugs and laying with them, while also ripping the face off an intruder. So a RR was the thought process at the time.
She might actually be in a coma now, Im not sure. She's been laying in front of my fireplace now and hasnt moved for 4 hours straight. Let me check, nope - she's alive. That's where she will sit until she 1. wants water or a bathroom break or 2. my wife gets home. I plan to pull my dog outside in the flurries here though for a 1 mile walk after I finish some stuff for work by 2pm. But she will go right back to the fireplace when we get home and just lay there.

Reactions: spuldup

I've been lucky with different breeds. We had a small puppy we got from a rescue that turned out to be a purebred Chesapeake. That dog was a really happy dog. Got along with everybody. One night someone turned the front door knob trying to open the door about 2;30 AM and "Delta" was asleep but woke up instantly and went nuts!She passed in 2018 at 16.5 years old.Delta had a sister in the Dachshund another pure bred purchased at a flea market on Daytona Beach Flea market. They were set up in an air conditioned tent. The two of them were together about 12 years. After a couple of months we went out and got a rescue in a terrier mix as a companion for the Dachshund who's now 15. So in 20+ years I've had great success and couldn't imagine not having a dog. They go to the beach every day which is good for them and us!

019(1)(2).JPG IMG_0992.JPG FullSizeRender(1).jpg IMG_0096(1).JPG

Last edited:
I've been lucky with different breeds. We had a small puppy we got from a rescue that turned out to be a purebred Chesapeake. That dog was a really happy dog. Got along with everybody. One night someone turned the front door knob trying to open the door about 2;30 AM and "Delta" was asleep but woke up instantly and went nuts!She passed in 2018 at 16.5 years old.Delta had a sister in the Dachshund another pure bred purchased at a flea market on Daytona Beach Flea market. They were set up in an air conditioned tent. The two of them were together about 12 years. After a couple of months we went out and got a rescue in a terrier mix as a companion for the Dachshund who's now 15. So in 20+ years I've had great success and couldn't imagine not having a dog. They go to the beach every day which is good for them and us!

View attachment 308571 View attachment 308572 View attachment 308575 View attachment 308576
My neighbor when I was a kid had an old Dachshund, and I swore when I got older I was going to either get that or a mid size terrier mutt. The Dachshund used to walk around with a tennis ball in its mouth hoping someone would grab it and throw it. My neighbor was an old guy, as was his dog. They would slowly walk together EVERY day, rain or shine. Sometimes he would have a little coat on, and it was the first time I saw a dog with a coat on. People thought that weird back then. My neighbor was a grump, but he loved when I would play with his little dog. I still remember the smell of that dog, pipe tobacco. My neighbor always had a pipe going.

I really think I want to get another dog. My poor girl would be so jealous though at first. Hopefully they would get along good, as that would be my intention and because well, dogs are great. Ive heard though with RR, if I get another dog it should be a male.

My neighbor when I was a kid had an old Dachshund, and I swore when I got older I was going to either get that or a mid size terrier mutt. The Dachshund used to walk around with a tennis ball in its mouth hoping someone would grab it and throw it. My neighbor was an old guy, as was his dog. They would slowly walk together EVERY day, rain or shine. Sometimes he would have a little coat on, and it was the first time I saw a dog with a coat on. People thought that weird back then. My neighbor was a grump, but he loved when I would play with his little dog. I still remember the smell of that dog, pipe tobacco. My neighbor always had a pipe going.

I really think I want to get another dog. My poor girl would be so jealous though at first. Hopefully they would get along good, as that would be my intention and because well, dogs are great. Ive heard though with RR, if I get another dog it should be a male.
Funny thing about the Dachshund she's not fixed and has never had sex until we got the terrier in 2018 who is fixed. Well she was really happy about that as you can imagine. The very first time was down at the beach. It was bizarre because they were stuck together for 20 minutes! We never heard anything like this. Got back home and immediately googled what the hell just happened. Google assured me "it happens"sometimes. Every single time since maybe 7/8 times same thing, Terrier just wants to go have a cigarette but neither can move. Stuck together like they were super glued. Every single time. Doesn't faze either one though..they're troopers.

This is my Mrs,her name is Carla,daschund/ jack russel cross.

20200424163855.JPG

Reactions: Tylervt
As I’ve said in a different post, we have a Rhodesian Ridgeback/Akita cross. Very nice dog. She has a strong hunting instinct, though, and can’t abide most other animals in what she views as her space. She’s killed cats, rats, snakes, mice, raccoons, skunks, an armadillo, rabbits, a muskrat…we don’t really like that part of her, although it is nice not to have to worry about coyotes by our hosue, etc. I’ve never even seen her scratched after any of these episodes. RR were bred to hunt lions, Akitas were bred to hunt bears, so she’s just being true to her kind, I guess. She’ll happily take on our cows if they are blocking something she wants. When I go feed them, she’ll keep them away from the feeder while I’m there if I let her. I usually don’t. She’ll attack snapping turtles, and they will fight for awhile, but soon they soon give up and retreat into their shell. They usually survive the attack. One thing she won’t kill is possums. She’ll bring them up to the house and play with them for hours, sometimes having two at a time. Then she’ll let them go. You have to be careful on pointing out any animal to her, because she expects that she is supposed to chase them off then. She’s quite intelligent and easy to train, but once she decides to chase something it’s hard to stop her. She’s great with our children, but we can’t trust her by herself with small strangers. She won’t attack them, but if they get into her space without her permission, she will snap.
The dogs I’ve had to do with over the years are Chow, Labs, Corgis, German Shepherd, Boerboels…the one I wish I had now are Boerboels.

Beautiful dogs you have there. We had a Dachund, lost to heart issues in 2020. Izzy had so much energy for her size and was also very lovey! Being a runt at birth did not do her any favors but she sure lived a good life.

I had a German Shorthaired Pointer for 19 just short of 20 years
She was a bird hunter (Grouse and Pheasant) Always on the move
and would hunt all day and then want to play fetch. Sun went down she slept
Only to do it again the next day Well behaved and was very well trained Been gone now
6 years and I still miss her Have had Labs and Springer Spaniels.
Right now have a 6-year-old Welch springer spaniel. If I were younger a lot
younger I have another GSP

emma  june 2015 1.png Emma.png Toby 02.jpg

We always had dogs on the farm, normally more than one. After school when I moved into my own house I had a Jack Russel. Completely insane dog, absolutely no fear. Broken legs, large open wounds from various things he attacked and killed. One time he got into poison that someone had put out for coyotes and survived it with a hefty vet bill. Then I had a Scottish Terrier, loved that dog but not brave. Any animal noises when out for a walk and she was gone back to the house. Had to put her down in 2021, she got very aggressive cancer in her mouth so no point making her suffer trying to treat it. Currently I have a 1.5 year old blue picardy spaniel, she might by my perfect dog. Active but not crazy, not super velcro but doesn’t run off. By far the easiest dog to train I’ve had, she would make an excellent bird dog but hunting just isn’t my thing.

Three growing up: beagle, Scottie, mixed breed Benji-like.

My wife and I had long commutes for work. Out of the house too long daily to have dogs.. We have cats.

Thread title made me laugh. There a New Yorker cartoon card. Two dogs talking with the caption ...

Why is it always "good dog?" Why is it never "great dog?"

It's a little different than I remembered. Lots of New Yorker dog (and cat) cartoons.

It's a little different than I remembered. Lots of New Yorker dog (and cat) cartoons.

Haha. Sometimes my dog looks at me like....can I get a bit more than just good dog? Like a treat or hug or something?
Don't give me your empty platitudes

Reactions: PaulOinMA
This one hit a little too close to home. I was getting a ride home from the airport 20 years ago. Kept thinking, "hug Nan, not the cat. Hug Nan, not the cat."

Walked in the door.

"Come here, Jasmine!" :)

Every day my dog goes nuts when my wife gets home. The dog won't let her greet me first. Gotta pet the dog first.

Gordon has entered the chat. He's a 3.5 year old English Mastiff. Gigantic, lazy and lovable! And wet. Very very wet 😂.

PXL_20230211_144607878.jpgPXL_20230212_041227605.jpg

• Love
Reactions: ispinwool
For me i have a black brindle pug/west highland white terrier he's a little taller than pug with very large and deep bark ive had him since he was 1 hes 13 now but a little rough goin cause we kinda came to the conclusion he was abused when he was young but throughout the years his anxiousness went away and you couldnt really ask for a better pup hes always by my side and happy to do whatever

E6337FCF-E872-472E-8B2B-FD6CA5B27BA6_1_105_c.jpeg
8AD8DBF6-A0A8-484C-BDF1-919E5EDDEA70_1_105_c.jpeg

This one's mine, an 'Australian Labradoodle', and hands down the best dog I have ever had. The brain of a poodle, with the heart of a lab. The happiest, sweetest, most loving and chill beast I have ever known. Doesn't drool, beg or shed. 27 lbs and tall for his weight.

Reactions: ispinwool