Good for a laugh

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

renrubtellep

Nov 25, 2017
Vermont
5DBA3779-0349-4748-9429-B14484CE97D5.jpeg
AD79CAD6-1BC5-453D-A4A9-E0BC5499ECC6.jpeg
I recently posted about an oxygen starved PH35PS which I have since resolved, but not before contacting ghp customer service. I sent ghp several pics of my installation including the attached pic of the hookup of the exhaust and intake pipes. Their rep had an immediate grasp of what they thought my problem was:

‘I see that the OUTSIDE air kit is connected right back into your chimney installation
Where the air exhaust and all debris and soot is supposed to be exiting and Because this connecting or installation done the way it was done, the soot comes right back and recycles into and within the unit’

LOL, I educated the rep about the attributes of the Selkirk Direct Temp system I have on my stove. But I think they are on to something, maybe we can recirculate and re-burn all that creosote, soot, and ash and squeeze every last btu out of it! Gotta love ‘customer service!’

WOW!! hey im gonna hook up my pool vacuum hose to my exhaust and my air intake on my truck maybe i can get better mileage!!!>>>>

Reactions: renrubtellep
No the intake. There was profuse amont of sarcasm it the previous post of mine

I dont know how it draws air through insulation but i was just reading about it. Handy for those that have masonary walls I suppose

My Harman wall thimble with the built in OAK works similar. As mentioned by JRemington above, there are two separate passage ways within said Selkirk. One is the exhaust and the other is fresh air intake. Many high efficient gas HVAC systems will use a similar PVC pipe setup that reduces the pipes to one hole outside instead of two.

Reactions: JRemington
I don't have an OAK on my stove. The inlet for the air intake on my stove goes into a small metal box with large holes in the sides, drawing air from the inside of the back of the stoves and also the room, as there are louvers on the stove back panel. I don't see the point of an OAK with the stove designed like that.

Reactions: Stovensen
Ahhh To OAK or no OAK that is the age old question.

I OAK. The house is warmer, I'm warmer, and no chilly drafts heading for the stove. Plus I don't like providing combustion air to my stove that I have paid to heat once.

Anyone running without an OAK puts their house into a negative pressure situation where any leaks in the insulation envelope will provide the make-up air volume.
Combustion air has to come from somewhere. Either provide it to the burn chamber via an OAK or draw it out of your house.

And I swear the stove runs better with a free source of combustion air.

Up to you.
---Nailer---

And I swear the stove runs better with a free source of combustion air.

Mine does, no doubt and all the cold air drafts almost completely stopped once the OAK was installed. That air has to come from somewhere to feed the flame, it just doesn't come from the room the stove is in.