Good game camera.....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

webbie

Seasoned Moderator
Nov 17, 2005
Western Mass.
Without me going nuts on features, can anyone suggest a decent game cam for taking IR (mostly) sequences and videos of deer, fox, bobcats and whatever else is hanging around our backyard??

Ideally, I'd like to spend $100 or less - high res is not needed, clarity is more important.

We've had several of them and each seem to have both good and bad. We got a couple last fall from Dunham's while they had a sale of $100. They are Wildgame Lightsout.

Good points:
1. Low cost
2. Take AA batteries (12)
3. Take good pictures either video or still.
4. Batteries can last a long time.
5. We typically will get 200-300 videos before changing batteries.
6. No flash; no lights at all when taking night pictures. There is a red light which will light as it is taking a picture but we simply put some black tape over that so it is not seen. This has given us much better results than other IR cameras.

Bad points:
1. Picture quality does decrease after batteries are at 50%. (This is based upon video which is what we have our cameras set at full time.)
2. Trigger time is a bit slow but not slower than most cameras. Still takes about a second so if something crosses broadside, you may or may not get the whole animal in the picture.

There are some good tricks one can use when setting these things and when that time comes, I'll be happy to pass along a couple tips. In the meantime, here are a couple pictures I captured from the videos. Realize too that capturing still shots from videos does not give the best quality.
Big hog-1.jpg Big hog-2.jpg

For some videos, look here: http://s714.photobucket.com/user/Backwoods-Savage/library/?sort=6&page=1

Stick with a good name brand and I don't think you'll go wrong.
There are so many models out there it will make your head spin.
I have a Bushnell that I spent around $80 on and it does an excellent job.

I'm in the market too, and I think I'll try something other than the Wildgame Innovations model I have now, although I will say that they sent me a new one after I complained that the SD card socket wouldn't retain the card, essentially making the thing worthless.

Well, first night and first pic - very poor pic.....night shot, I guess. I'm thinking this is a coyote......it was too dang cold last night for even most beasts!

View attachment 123328
To me, it looks like you're getting a flash reflection off of that pine branch, causing it to wash out. Might have better luck pointing it at an open area.
We have an over abundance of Coyotes around here and in the 2 months I had the camera up there, I only got a shot of one.
101.JPG

Reactions: boomhour
That is one huge cat. :oops:

Its cousin.

HugeCat.jpg

Reactions: webbie
Chow? Chow/lab?

Status
Not open for further replies.