Good Jotul deal in NH on CL?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

branchburner

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Sep 27, 2008
southern NH
I have an F400 from the same year. This one looks too shiny to be the flat black and not "rich" enough for the blue/black enamel. Just my 2 cents.

Oops, forgot my price comment, seems to me to be an OK price if it's sound.

if it was a blue black it should have a crome handel it must be a re-painted matte black

Wow, I guess they haven't changed much over the years. I just finished up a reline job an hour ago on an early 80s Jotul which looks identical. Great stove though!

The old model was probably the Jotul 8 which is similar, but not identical to the F400.

One has to wonder why a 3 yr old stove would need repainting. The price is good, but the stove bears careful inspection.

That's been repainted IMHO...looks like they used a gloss finish from a rattle can.

We bought our Castine last year. I could have sworn it was $1600 and not $1800.

msrp on the Castine was $1965 last year, not sure of '10 price. That stove was def painted with a satin black paint or he used a stove polish to shine it up (which you really shouldn't do on a painted stove). Jotul's standard matte finish is the Stove Brite flat black which dulls and greys out a fair amount with use.

Looks like flat black with a fresh/still wet coat of paint on the f400. To buy one new this year during the fall, you'd probably end up paying about $1900. Figure the tax credit and your net is $1300. So doing the Frank math I would estimate the true value of that stove as being about $650 is nothing is warped. I always take the selling price (may be different than retail) x.7 x.5 (Or a .35 multiplier) to help customers determine what to sell a used epa certified wood stove during the tax credit.

Agree . . . looks like it was painted with a fresh coat of paint since it is way, way too shiny for the matte black look . . . and too nice for being three years old. If it was the blue-black I would imagine they would have mentioned the enamel-type finish.

Franks said:
I always take the selling price (may be different than retail) x.7 x.5 (Or a .35 multiplier) to help customers determine what to sell a used epa certified wood stove during the tax credit.

Good formula!

I'm a certified craig-a-holic, but there's a few things that kept me from buying a used stove back in 2008 (Not many pickin's that year when oil was $4/gallon. I had a hard time finding a stove in the first place, even from a dealer!)

You don't get a new stove. -$500
You don't get a warranty. -$500
You don't get the tax credit. -$570
You don't get it delivered
You don't know what's been inside it.

That doesn't look like stove paint. It looks too shiney even for satin. It's a very nice stove howerver, and has me looking at my plain-jane insert wishing it would do something.

Status
Not open for further replies.