good news to report

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CowboyAndy

Feb 29, 2008
Chateaugay, NY
well this weekend we started moving wood into the basement for winter... we are already burning 2-3 times a week so we needed some in the house. last year we waited till the snow flew (mid to late october)but this year i wanted to get a jump on it.

i am planning on 6-7 cords total for the winter. we moved 2 cords of ash splits and ash, birch and maple rounds (2") that should carry us into december. them we moved 2 cords of large split maple and hickory to carry us through late feb early march. next weekend we will move the remaining 4 cords of maple and ash into the woodshed.

so the good news is testing of the 2 year seasoned hickory checks in at 17% mc, and the maple and ash both right at 20%.

i am a happy man.

antichusettesLEE said:
Glad to see you back Andy!

+1 and your ready this year how's it fill?

Sounds like you are good to go Andy.

Hey Andy you beat the rain...good. Nice to see you back too.

smokinj said:
antichusettesLEE said:

oh man its great burning seasoned wood!!! at this time last year i was spending an hour trying to get a fire going with wet wood that would go out 5 min after i shut the door.

CowboyAndy said:
smokinj said:
antichusettesLEE said:

oh man its great burning seasoned wood!!! at this time last year i was spending an hour trying to get a fire going with wet wood that would go out 5 min after i shut the door.

lol now you can watch the newbys and lol

smokinj said:
CowboyAndy said:
smokinj said:
antichusettesLEE said:

lol now you can watch the newbys and lol

hopefully i can help convince them they need good dry wood!

but if there was one piece of advice i could offer to all newbies it would be that the first year is the hardest, between harvesting and burning itself, i learned so much last year that i am waaaaay ahead of the game now.

well, managed to get 5 1/2 cords in the basement... i officially cant fit any more. now to load 3 more into the wood shed.

last year we only started with about a cord and a half in the basement and 4 in the wood shed... and had to load more in the middle of the winter. that was not fun. the kids are thankful this year! its nice because the wood shed is attached to the house so we dont have to be out in the elements to move it to the basement.

^yup...there's a lot to be said about having some overhead cover when you're manhandling wood.

CowboyAndy said:
had to load more in the middle of the winter. that was not fun.
Suck it up, Buttercup. Going out to the woodshed for firewood is one of the joys of wood burning. The fresh air and exercise is good for you.

LLigetfa said:
CowboyAndy said:
Suck it up, Buttercup. Going out to the woodshed for firewood is one of the joys of wood burning. The fresh air and exercise is good for you.

lol Thats good but andy didnt have much of anything last year but bad luck A wood burning hungry furnace and wood not so good!
but buttercup may just stick!

LLigetfa said:
CowboyAndy said:

to be honest, its not the "outside part"... its trying to maneuver my truck and trailer through 3 ft of snow...

and i made some pretty decent size ruts in the yard when we had a thaw in late feb.

didnt tear up the yard at all this year.

Truck? Trailer? Despite the recent invention of the wheel, I hand carry from the shed to the house.

Status
Not open for further replies.