good news!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Durantefarm

Jan 7, 2018
Ohio
just some good news to share . so we got our VC insert installed jan 1 of this year . our average heating cost for our 2100 sqft 2 story house was $240 thats furnace and dryer . january was a very cold month here in ohio and we used the insert all day every day (not with the best wood ) but again was learning . our bill just came today and it was $90!!! my wife and i are so happy ! plus i have to say once my wife saw the bill she has no problem with me going out and cutting wood . hell she even comes out to drive the fourwheeler with the wagon to stack the wood ! thank you all for the input on how to use my insert and im sure with even better wood next season and seasons after that it will be even better.

Nice! I remember that feeling when we put ours in. Feels good when an investment pays off like that.

My wife says stacking wood is better than going to the gym, and that she's far better at it than I am. No way I'd disagree with her [emoji3]

Now if she felt the same way about cutting and splitting too...

Reactions: Durantefarm
my wife doesn't mind helping me stack wood, it's quality time together, she doesn't enjoy the cutting and splitting though and that's fine by me

I started my kids on helping me stack wood, then i got them to help hauling it out of the woods and then when they got to be 12 i trained them on running the wood splitter. Im going to be sad seeing them go off to college one by one, very sad.

My wife and daughter like to help stacking wood too. They love the fire in the winter even more. Savings are great too even I don't burn 24/7 usually Thursday-Sunday since my wife is home on Fridays. And any day we are home. This hating season I bought 150 gal of oil and still have over a half a tank. Time for a second stove.

My wife was reluctant at the beginning and did a 180 after one year too, still can't get her to help with the wood though. Just think, every year you'll save that money, maybe more once you get it down pat, ca-ching ca-ching.

Reactions: Durantefarm
It’s been so long that I’ve forgotten the total winter volume, but pre-stove propane was requiring fill ups of a 500 gallon tank every 6 weeks or so in the winter. Post stove, I went well over two years before I needed a refill. Joy!

Before the stove went in, I added cellulose insulation to the attic, taking it to an estimated about R60 from what I guess was R30ish. The following year, my last year without a stove, propane consumption was flat. However, my propane supplier was kind enough to give my the day by day temp data. My consumption was flat in a year that saw a 25% increase in degree heating days. My point... while the stove is great, it still has a big expense, even if it’s mostly time and effort. Energy efficiency has a one time hit to put it in, then keeps giving forever!

My wife always helps me with wood chores. I even had to buy her a personal chainsaw because “stacking only is boring... can’t I help you in the forest?”
No wonder I married her!

Reactions: Bigger_Al
Wife doesn't help, no kids. On my own. She loves that I am feeding both stoves and get enough wood near the house for her to run the stoves when I am elsewhere, but still on my own.
We're here for you, for moral support, Jan!

I started my kids on helping me stack wood, then i got them to help hauling it out of the woods and then when they got to be 12 i trained them on running the wood splitter. Im going to be sad seeing them go off to college one by one, very sad.
Absolutely, Once they’re fully trained they are gone.

My wife always helps me with wood chores. I even had to buy her a personal chainsaw because “stacking only is boring... can’t I help you in the forest?”
No wonder I married her!

She's a keeper...!!!