Got it all split today....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Tar12

Minister of Fire
Dec 9, 2016
Indiana
Walnut and cherry is such a pleasure to cut and split...
IMG_2557.jpgIMG_2558.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, that straight-grained stuff is wonderful to split.

Is there a love / hate for cherry? I ask because a local tree man offered me a few sticks of cherry. Asking around, some old wood stove guys said, "oh, cherry, nothing beats that" and then a few others were, " cherry is no good for a stove , and it smells!"

thanks

Its not on top of my list as a hardwood...but it does make BTUs and is good for smoking meats.I will bur n it buts its not my first choice...this batch will be sold.

I probably burned 3 cord of cherry this winter. With the milder winter it worked out nicely and helped me save the better stuff

Is there a love / hate for cherry? I ask because a local tree man offered me a few sticks of cherry. Asking around, some old wood stove guys said, "oh, cherry, nothing beats that" and then a few others were, " cherry is no good for a stove , and it smells!"

thanks

Black cherry up here is a fair to middling wood. I like it and burn it . . . then again I burn just about everything. Best thing about cherry is how good it smells when splitting it up. As to the comments . . . there are a lot better wood species when it comes to pure BTUs than cherry, but cherry is certainly a good wood for burning in the stove.

Black Cherry is abundant around here, I have several in my yard. It dries fast and is decent in BTU, but not the best. It splits easy, smells good splitting, in my stove, and tastes good in my meat smoker. So yeah, its good in my book.

Reactions: D8Chumley